Skipping the Charge Beam and Super Missiles: Artifact of WildDiscovered by
- This is the best method to get up from the bottom of Sun Tower without the Charge Beam/Super Missiles. To skip the Spider Ball along with those two, see Skipping the Spider Ball: Artifact of Wild.
- Okay, first off, this is tough to do. It takes practice, and you must practice it in steps as I had to. Unless you're more skilled than I, but what are the odds :P Practice each step until you are REALLY good at it, because to do the next thing at all, you have to be really good at the step before it. Here goes.
- Needless to say, explode the war wasp hives first. You don't need them bugging you. Throughout all of this (after step 1) keep holding R as well as UP on the control stick. Don't let go unless you've got this down pat and are trying to tweak it to see if letting go helps with height.
- Bomb 1: Burning out: Okay, going up the runic gate takes 5 bombs all at once. The problem is you only have 3. Ah but aren't you clever, you can turn a 3 into a 5 as easily as an Enron accountant. In the suntower, with the spiderball, latch onto the spiderball track using R. Now push Down. Hold Down. When you're as far down as you can go (you shouldn't even be touching the track, just close to it stuck by magnetics) you are in proper position
- Press A AND HIT UP at the SAME TIME. From this point on do not stop pressing UP on the control stick. You'll lay a bomb and go up the track. I worked it out so this exact location makes you waste enough time to make the bombs refil riiight after you place 2 and 3. So when you get near the top of the track, you place them as I describe below:
- Bombs 2 and 3: Going Up: These two are the first REAL bombs you place. Get good at placing them like so: Going UP the spiderball track, look at your speed. As soon as you slow down from going over the "corner" near the top, place bomb 2. Then place bomb 3 right afterwards. They should not be EXACTLY in the same spot, but pretty darn close. You placed bomb 2 right as you were going up the corner, and bomb 3 as you were just about as high as you could go. Keep holding up. Bomb 2 should propel you horizontally a little ways and bomb 3 should propel you up. I'm not sure why it works this way, but it does. It'll make you go up the runic gate.
- If you did this correctly, you should go up about as high as the lower runic symbols. If you draw a line through the center of the two bottom runic symbols, the center of YOU, should go AS HIGH OR HIGHER than that. If it doesn't go this high, don't go to the next step, you need to get good at doing this one right first. If your timing was good, you not only went as high as I said you should, but you placed them both before your bombs refilled, but not too long before. Your bombs refilled JUST after placing bomb 3. Once you've got it, continue as follows
- Bomb 4: The Jump-Start: The timing for this one is difficult, and I can't really give you many tips. In a double bomb jump, you place your second bomb just before the first explodes. This bomb acts like that one, but don't place it so late, place it way earlier than you think you should. It is placed right at the same spot as bomb number 3 was placed.
- If your timing was right, you will go as high as the bottom runic symbols from bomb 3 propelling you up. When you fall back down, this bomb, bomb 4, should explode and propel you up AGAIN. If it exploded too late or early to propel you up again, adjust your timing and try again. This one is tough to master, so keep at it. If you did it correctly, you go HIGHER for some reason than bomb 3 propelled you. You should go about halfway up the runic gate. HALFWAY. Any less and you need to keep trying. Every inch counts in this. Once you can go that high about 4 out of 5 tries, give the next one a shot. It gets worse, you have been warned.
- Bomb 5: the Booster: This one is worse than bomb 4, believe it or not. After you have placed bomb 4 and after bomb 3 explodes and propels you, you want to place this bomb, bomb 5 about halfway to the peak of your jump. Why only halfway? I'm not sure, but any higher and it will not explode soon enough for it to hit you and make you go up.
- If you placed this correctly, approximately 1/4 of the way up the runic gate, maybe a bit higher, then this is what will happen: Bomb 3 explodes, you go up, place bomb 5 as you are going up halfway to the peak of your jump, you go down, bomb 4 explodes and propels you up into bomb 5 which explodes and propels you even higher. You should be about 2/3 of the way up the runic gate from this bomb. Not quite as high as the top runic symbols, but reasonably close. This one takes lots of practice, if you aren't about 2/3 of the way up, or you feel you could have gone higher, keep trying. You need this one DOWN before placing the last one
- Bomb 6: The Final Stretch: This one isn't so bad, bomb 5 was the worst one. If you have that down, this one should be okay. Place this bomb at the peak of your FIRST ascent after being blown up by bomb 3. In other words, right after bomb 5. This one is placed about half way up the runic gate. Timing is everything. If you placed it right, after bomb 5 propels you up, bomb 6 explodes and propels you higher still.
- How high should you go? You should make red leaves fall off the read leaf vines. If you go can reliably go that high, then you've mastered it. Only one thing remains: The Morph. As with most bomb jump techniques, you morph at or maybe a little before the peak of this jump, and you "pop" up. It gives you the height you need to make it over the gate, and stand on top of it. Yes, you can stand on the gate.
- The Hazard: The last thing to overcome is something which surprised me. As the first person up the gate, I had no idea this was coming. The stretch of spider ball track that is RIGHT ABOVE the gate is not real. You can't magno-latch onto it. But the "cube" of track above is real. You must double bomb jump onto it. After what you've gone through, a dbj should be the easiest thing in the world.
- Don't hit the oculuses or you will fall and be very sad. Double bomb jump up holding R and you latch on. Now make your way up. Congrats, you've skipped the Charge Beam and Super Missles with this little ditty :)
- The Result: Here is a crude drawing to give you an understanding of the process:
------- runic gate top
------- runic gate bottom
- You burned a bomb as mentioned in the first step, when you get between point A and B, place bomb 2 at point B place bomb 3, very quickly after 2. Wait a little bit, place bomb 4 at point B still.
- Still holding UP and R for all of this, Bomb 2 and 3 explode propelling you upward to point D. On your way up to point D, You place bomb 5 at point C and you place bomb 6 right after at point D.
- You fall down into bomb 4 at point B, it explodes and sends you into bomb 5 at point C which explodes and sends you higher. As you rise and pass point D, bomb 6 explodes adding massive upward momentum. The combined upward thrust of bombs 4, 5, and 6, as you went through points B C and D send you up so hard that you pass point F and the top of the gate.
- If you did it correctly you got red leaves to fall off of the red leaf plant because you went so high. If you go that high, morph and stand on the gate. DBJ up to the track "cube" and you're home free. My only piece of advice after making it is don't lose to the chozo ghosts :P
- That's it. Go nuts. And believe me, if you do this, you will go nuts.
Thanks to Kip for inspiring placement of bombs 2 and 3.
Thanks to Solr_Flare for inspiring placement of bomb 5 and goading me to morph at the peak of my last jump.
Thanks to me for spending 7 damned hours in one day to perfect this technique.