Techniques: HBJ/UBJDiscovered by
The highest currently known bomb jumps in Metroid Prime are the HBJ family of jumps, comprising the HBJ and the UBJ. As with the Triple Bomb Jump, it is necessary to waste or "burn" one bomb before starting the jump, which forces the bomb counter to reset half way through the procedure. This trick enables five bombs to be used in a row.
As for the Triple Bomb Jump, both these jumps' heights may be extended by performing them against a wall to slow the descent of the morph ball, and delaying the bomb timing accordingly. Against a wall, the HBJ provides more height. Without a wall, the UBJ plus unmorph provides more height.
Here's how the HBJ is done. In simple terms, bombs two to six are laid an equal amount of time apart in a steady rhythm. Each bomb carries you upwards and you then fall a short distance onto the following bomb, which sends you up higher, giving a sort of ladder effect.
- 1st bomb: With a full stock, put down a bomb and let it blast you into the air.
- 2nd bomb: After the first bomb has finished exploding and the bomb explosion graphics have completely disappeared, lay the second bomb where you sit. The delay between bomb one and bomb two is the same as for a 3BJ (i.e. wait slightly longer than you would for the Triple Bomb Jump).
- 3rd bomb: Before bomb two explodes, you need to lay bomb three on top of bomb two. It is worth practising for a while with just these three bombs, as the delay between bombs two and three is the same for the delay between all the rest of the bombs you will lay.
- 4th bomb: By now, you should be airborne from the detonation of bomb two. Bomb four should be laid on the way up from this explosion.
- 5th bomb: You will begin coming down from bomb two and, if you've timed it correctly, you will be popped up by bomb three before reaching the ground. Bomb five should be laid on the way up from the explosion of bomb three.
- 6th bomb: You will begin coming down from bomb three and, if you've timed it correctly, you will be popped up further by bomb four. Bomb six should be laid on the way up from the explosion of bomb four.
After laying all six bombs, you will fall from the bomb four explosion onto bomb five, and then fall from the bomb five explosion onto bomb six, completing the jump.
The UBJ works similarly, but bomb six is timed and placed differently, effectively giving you a mid-air DBJ. Steps one to five are the same as for the UBJ. Immediately after bomb three explodes, you need to lay bombs five and six on the way up from this explosion - the first in the middle of the bomb three jump (as for the HBJ) and the last at the peak of it. You will then fall into bomb four which will pop you up. On the way down from this you will fall into the DBJ formed by bombs five and six, completing the jump. An unmorph at the peak, as with all bomb jumps, will give you a touch of extra height.