Other: Rapid Fire PirateDiscovered by
WraithMaster & Tardis
- During the frigate escape after the first elevator is Biotech Research Area 1, where the Pirates are attempting to put down one of the Parasites and then something blows up and kills them and it.
- It turns out that the Pirates aren't programmatically killed as part of the "cutscene": they're really killed by damage from the explosion, and it is possible for the Pirates to get far enough away from the tank to survive. Running into the room and over to the tank between the two Pirates and firing once at the right-hand one often makes it survive through some complicated recoil from the explosion. (You can make the other one survive just by hitting it as soon as you enter the room, and even have both survive, but having just the right-hand one is better, as explained below.)
- The reason this is interesting is that those Pirates carry special rapid-fire galvanic accelerator cannons so they'll look really cool painting the Parasite with fire. Of course, with the Parasite dead and you in the room, they get used on you. Turns out that those things do just as much damage as the regular ones in that level, only about 6 times per second continuously! This really hurts.
- If you stand perfectly still, the two Parasite Pirates will miss you all the time, firing on your left and on your right (presumably more special code for the Parasite-painting). But if you try to move, you get owned in short order.
- The left-hand pirate is easier to "save" but doesn't fire nearly as fast. However, if you get a certain distance from it, it'll fire nearly as rapidly as the right-hand one. If you save both of them, they have to share the larger rate of fire.