Secret Worlds: phendrana's edgeDiscovered by
The Pizza Boy
- Climb and grapple to the very top of phendrana's edge. Stand on the platform that is opposite the entrance to security cave and directly above the entrances to the upper and lower edge tunnels. The object is to jump on top of the glider that circles the room, but this is a tricky two stage process. Stage one is to grapple to a small snow and rock ledge on the wall on the opposite side of the room to you. Stage two is to jump from this ledge to the top of the glider, and from there it is a simple hop out of the room.
- Start by positioning yourself for the grapple. If you look to the left you should see that part of the platform on which you are standing is made of ice, and if you look to your right you should see that there are three vertices or "kinks" in the platform's edge. The correct launch point for the grapple is equidistant from the edge of the ice on your left and the first kink in the edge of the platform on your right. Move close to the platform's edge and aim your view at the target ledge by holding L lightly (do not hold it all the way down or you will grapple). The ledge you are aiming for is to the left of and behind the snow pillar, and slightly higher than you are.
- Now watch the glider. You need to time the grapple well, and also perform it in such a way that you still have your space jump available when you release L after having grappled. The glider will move in various patterns, but the one to watch for is when it appears in the top right of your view and heads diagonally downwards and left. Sometimes when it makes this move, it will turn back towards you, in which case you should release L to pull out of the grapple (there is sufficient time to do this). Usually, though, it will reach the end of its run and then turn away from you. This is the closest it gets to the destination ledge. Slightly before or just as it begins to turn away, while it is still moving left, you need to hold L to begin the grapple. As the grapple beam finishes connecting, the glider should have just completed its turn. At this point, before you take off, you need to tap B. This must be timed correctly - if you do not tap B or tap it too early or too late, you will not be able to use your space jump to reach the ledge. The timing of the grapple is also crucial, as most of the ledge you are aiming for may not be stood upon. There is only one small area where you can legitimately stand and attempt the jump to the top of the glider, and this is against the wall at the back and on the right of the ledge as you view it. You need to maintain enough forward momentum when releasing the grapple to slide up the ledge into this position. You also need to miss the pillar. The grapple will cause the glider to stop in mid air, and in order to successfully make it onto the ledge it should be made to do so just as the centre of it passes the left edge of the ledge you are trying to reach. Grapple across, release the grapple, and wait a moment to get maximum distance before tapping B again, holding L if necessary, and adjusting the stick to space jump to the back and right of the ledge. It is also worth mentioning that if you miss the ledge or slide off it, as you will do numerous times, morphing into a ball can help to get you onto the security cave platform rather than falling all the way back down the room, as the morph ball has better air control than the suit form does.
- Once you are standing on the ledge, turn round. You need to move right just a whisker - too far and you will slide off and have more climbing to do. You will notice immediately that your view is heavily obscured by the pillar, which makes timing the jump to the glider very hard - indeed at first glance it looks impossible. The useful tool here is samus' radar in the top left of the screen which can be used to follow the path of the glider. The glider will make one pass left to right as you view it, then turn and go back. This pass should be ignored. Depending on its flight pattern, the time to attempt the jump to it will either be on the second pass and turn (rarely) or the third pass and turn (frequently). It is probably better, however, to watch the radar for a little while until you are sure of its flight pattern and know when it is going to be closest to you.
- The jump to the glider is awkward. The perfect time to jump is just as or fractionally before the glider appears past the pillar. Your first jump should be a strafe right to get you clear of the scenery around you. The second should obviously be out and towards the glider. There is very little margin for error in this second jump. You can also experiment with trying to freeze the glider with an ice beam or ice spreader shot, but this will probably be less helpful than it sounds.
- Once you are on the glider, simply pick your favourite wall and jump over it.