Speed Tricks: Space Jump First Combat DashDiscovered by
- For versions of the game without the Scan Dash (every version except the original North American version), there is now a much faster method of getting space jump first than the old way. However, it's horribly difficult too, so it's lucky that it's only useful for speed runs (people playing casually could just use the far easier seedling way). It involves combat-dashing off one of the beetles in the next room to get to the ledge you'd be at normally after dashing from the seedling.
- Firstly, head to the room next to landing site with the beetles in, and once you're in do one L-jump forwards into the room (this is to make the beetles emerge). Just after landing, jump again and turn back to the door you just went through and shoot it. The next part must be done quickly, so that the beetles don't come too near and ruin the angle of the dash. After shooting the door, continue turning left and when you see the beetles, lock onto one of them. You must now quickly half-release L and press it again, so that you'll lock onto the other one that's a bit further away. If you can manage to lock on to the correct one first time then great, but this has never happened for me, so I doubt it's possible. Anyway, once locked on to the right beetle, you'll need to shoot it a couple of times to stop it in its tracks; this prevents it from getting closer to you, and the for the dash to work you'll need it to be as far from you as possible.
- The next step is to position yourself for the dash. I apologise for being slightly vague about this part, but I'm actually not sure what the exact optimum place to stand is (such is the difficulty of this trick that i've only done it around 6 or 7 times). You should succeed if you duplicate the above video closely enough. Anyway, after you shoot the beetle, you need to reverse out of the room back into landing site while still locked on to it (you will maintain the target lock), and move over to the right. This part is the hardest: you now need to get yourself as far to the right of the ledge as you can without falling off (and in my experience, you really do have to be at the absolute right-most point), before dashing; you'll also need to stay close to the wall in front of you - I'd say about as close to the wall as can be without making contact with it. If you're pressed right up against the wall, the dash won't have such a good effect and it's likely that you won't make it.
- Once you have positioned yourself correctly (as far right as can be, and as close to the wall without touching it as can be), you'll need to quickly perform a dash jump to the right (you don't have any time to wait, since the beetle will get too close and ruin the angle). During the dash, it's best to not hold any direction on the analog stick at all, as this seems to give the most distance/dash power. If you've done all of the above correctly, you should either make it to the ledge cleanly, or slightly bounce back off the edge of it and then stay there (which happens in the video).
- If you manage to get to the ledge, then congrats - you've just done what in my opinion is the hardest trick you'll do in a PAL speed run. Obviously, once there just head to alcove and collect space jump ... but for the love of god, don't fall down and have to do it again!