<- 12345 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Heh, that would rule man...though Time Attack is Normal only so you'd be competing against me  :P

Granted I need to practice a LOT...just did a normal 100% single seg run for the first time in like 2-3 weeks...I had most of the difficult tricks still down pact (save a couple I'm still perfecting), I just kept making rookie mistakes (ie, mistimed jumps, missed shines, screwing up an IBJ [this is like 2nd nature now])

Somehow still managed a 1:02:10, even with having to repeat something about 10-15 times to get it right  Rolling Eyes
I don't get it :) I follow your route exactly (well practically anyway) & I still end up having 15+ minutes more than you :D Sure I screw up too but still... A little annoying.
Practice, practice, practice man...took me about 3-4 weeks straight doing a single segment run at once a day to get it down there. For the last week before I got it I didn't get anything over 1:02:xx.

Oh, and is yours single segment? If it's not then add 5 seconds per save, and possibly 2-3 more seconds if it's in an out of the way room.
No I don't do single-segments yet. But I only save like 3 times or so, so it doesn't add very much anyway.
One shall stand, one shall ball.
Quote from Dragondarch:
Practice, practice, practice man...took me about 3-4 weeks straight doing a single segment run at once a day to get it down there. For the last week before I got it I didn't get anything over 1:02:xx.

Oh, and is yours single segment? If it's not then add 5 seconds per save, and possibly 2-3 more seconds if it's in an out of the way room.

You have an insane amout of paitience and free time.
Agreed. getting that good at metriod MIGHT be worth it, but hell no, i ain't tryin.
Quote from Red Scarlet:
It gives you a password to submit to Nintendo for a contest NoA seemingly will not have.

Nintendo of Japan is having a contest (you win an orange+red+Samus logo GBA SP for the best time), and AJ linked me to the contest page, and I peeked around it and saw what looked like how to open Time Attack.

Go here to see what I saw: www.metroid2002.com/redscarlet/sillynintendo.png

AJ says it's Normal Mode only, but is playing through to see if Hard mode opens too.

Basically it's a secret mode that Nintendo of America likely had no intention of revealing to us over here in North America, and was only openable on the rom/cart with codes or hacks.

But it does seem to save your times, so if anything that might be it's most worthwhile advantage to having.

In the Japanese version, it looks like you can choose 'Adult text' or 'Child text', likely that being lots of Kanji in Adult, and all hiragana/katakana in Child.

what do you mean "Adult text" and "Child" text?
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Quote from Silver Falcon:
Quote from Red Scarlet:
In the Japanese version, it looks like you can choose 'Adult text' or 'Child text', likely that being lots of Kanji in Adult, and all hiragana/katakana in Child.

Um... well, you can't really bump a sticky, but 1) pay attention and 2) there was no need to quote the entire huge post. Please trim down your quotes to only what you're responding to next time.
it might help if someone could post a link to a "japanese written language faq" or something. if you don't know what kanji/hiragana/katakana are, that response is probably pretty incomprehensible.
twenty eight fifty
japanese language faq: the japanese use complicated, ugly symbols no one understands and then sexy, simple symbols that are much easier. you choose if you want the ugly blobs of scribble or the much more attractive, simpler characters; another way of putting it is adult text or child text.
I'll be back. Maybe...
This should help.
I('d) like to watch (some MP3 runs)
Quote from Silver Falcon:

Ignore what I said in my ancient post, what it really is is that with "Adult text", the items, cutscenes, and Samus' commentary are all sextalk and dirty names instead.

"Child text" = what we got in the NA version.

dur
twenty eight fifty
yeah, the description of screw attack is freakin' wild.
Quote from Dragondarch:
Heh, that would rule man...though Time Attack is Normal only so you'd be competing against me  :P

Granted I need to practice a LOT...just did a normal 100% single seg run for the first time in like 2-3 weeks...I had most of the difficult tricks still down pact (save a couple I'm still perfecting), I just kept making rookie mistakes (ie, mistimed jumps, missed shines, screwing up an IBJ [this is like 2nd nature now])

Somehow still managed a 1:02:10, even with having to repeat something about 10-15 times to get it right  Rolling Eyes

uhh...i got time attack on hard, so you can get it on that difficutly.
Uh... How? By cheating?
lol no way
Nah Graveworm, he just doesn't know what's going on. He thought they meant that you can only unlock TA if you beat the game on Normal, when, would he have actually thought about it he would have realized that they clearly meant that TA is the same thing as Normal mode, and can't be played in Hard mode, so if someone were to try to run it they'd be competing with Normal mode records rather than Hard mode records.
no rilly, im not lying...i have the NA version so it might not work if you have another... and if you don't believe me, in time Attack mode, the text for the file turns yellow. If you do the up, left, right, down thing, it says

"Continue"
"New"
"New Time Attack"

you need a beaten file of normal (and hard) to get it...who says im lost?...oh and, uh, aj, i saw your material...good, i repsect your skills, just don't flame people when they know there right, ok.

BTW, when does your avator mean, anyway...i can make out your name, but everything else is confusing...
Well, pwnz is owns. And Zero Mission is the game discussed on this part of the forum. (Sorry ajbolt, maybe you wanted to write this yourself, whatever.) And well, I think most people here has the NA version of the game. I have, aj has, and I think most people that have this game and lives in NA should have that one, maybe european or japanese, but then they should have the NA version too, I've never seen the time attack on hard, though I play time attack every time I play on normal.
lol no way
Nah Graveworm, I think you said it better than I could've.
But again, it seems as though he still doesn't really realize what I'm talking about. He still seems to think that I'm telling him that you can't unlock TA mode when you beat it on Hard mode, when really I'm telling him you can't play TA mode, with Hard mode's settings. I'm not trying to flame you man, I'm just saying, read what we're saying more thoroughly... the way you act like you know what you're talking about when we wouldn't just sort of bothers me.
Oh, and thanks for the uh... praise. Heh.
Time Attack is Normal Mode only.  Go away.  You don't know what you're talking about.  "rilly", it isn't playable on Hard.  I and AJ (and many others) have had Hard mode unlocked and beaten for over a year, along with Time Attack unlocked in almost as long.  It's Normal mode that you play when you choose Time Attack.  Not Hard.
wtf? you can do this? im trying when i get home!

EDIT: question: do you get a cool ending?
lol no way
Uhm... this is me bumping a month old topic, please don't hate me Yoshi, it's a sticky and it's not that old.
No, no new endings are acquired, just the same ones as you'd get in normal mode with your % and time.
It does however record both your any% time and your 100% time... not the any% percentage, but eh, still all right... you press left/right to choose between them on the Time Attack Records option.
red chamber dream
We decided that there's no such thing as bumping a sticky - that's why it's a sticky. So, you're fine. :)
Bangaa Bishop
I just tried this, and i'm wondering: even with the New Time Attack option added to the load/new menu, there's still room for one more option to be displayed in that menui. Is that where the text selection for the JP version would be? or is there something else that might go there? or am I just a noob?
According to the url for the Japanese Time Attack 'contest' (https://secure.nintendo.co.jp/metroid/time/guide.html), no.

The adult/child text thing appears after it asks if you want to start a new game which will not delete the green/yellow Samus symbol.  Nothing under New Time Attack is shown there.