page  12345678 -> 1 ... 8 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Check it out and tell me what YOU think!

http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3679
Thread title: 
=(  I wish I could play mack vids without losing sync, I'll have to wait for the vid
Well, seeing as how I don't have the emulator loaded on my comp, mind telling what the final in-game time was?  Total movie time was about 1:13, so I'm guessing it's going to beat Scarlet's 0:55.  And, of course, a TAS'er wouldn't bother releasing a vid unless it shattered the console record anyway.
And, over 100 thousand re-records??  :?  Now that's some skill right there.
Skill is measured in re-records now?

Well, if you want to know what the final time was, just watch the movie, yo.
l'appel du vide
http://files.ipherswipsite.com/snes9x/snes9x-143-WIP-macosx.dmg.gz

Use this version, Sig.
Quote from MonsterERB:
Well, seeing as how I don't have the emulator loaded on my comp, mind telling what the final in-game time was?

Nope, that would spoil the surprise  Wink

Quote from Ryan Ferneau:

In some extent, I think so.
Quote from Ryan Ferneau:

Yep.  Fewer the better.  Ideal would be zero, but even console runners attempt segments multiple times - so that's a kind of "re-record" depending on how you look at it.

Quote from Ryan Ferneau:
Well, if you want to know what the final time was, just watch the movie, yo.

Never mind, then.  I'm not planning on watching the movie anyway, as:
(a) I'm quite happy playing SM on my SNES console.  The one time I tried to play via ROM/ZSNES felt completely unnatural using a keyboard.
(b) Scarlet's 0:55 is 100x more awesome than any TAS run could ever be.
(c) Note that (b) is just my opinion, but I'm not about to change my mind anytime soon.

OOS right upon stepping off the ceres elevator
Quote from MonsterERB:
I'm quite happy playing SM on my SNES console.  The one time I tried to play via ROM/ZSNES felt completely unnatural using a keyboard.

Yeah, well, I got into games like Apogee's old shareware series, so I think a lot of controllers feel unnatural compared to the keyboard!

Quote from MonsterERB:
Scarlet's 0:55 is 100x more awesome than any TAS run could ever be.

No it's not!  My opinion!  Ha ha!
l'appel du vide
Quote from Sigfriedxx:

Huh...it works fine for me.  I used a header-less JU rom, btw...dunno if a header makes a difference.
Quote from 13M13:
Quote from Sigfriedxx:

Huh...it works fine for me.  I used a header-less JU rom, btw...dunno if a header makes a difference.

Me too, I don't know why it keeps desyncing, any special buttons I need to check off?
I think AngerFist made this topic to let people, who want to see it, know that it is available... and not to start a tas vs regular speedrun thread.

The amount of rerecords doesn't measure skill, since a tas and a regular speedrun aren't compairable anyway. Using as less as possible rerecords for a tas is just stupid, since a movie which is 1 frame faster and has 100 times more rerecords can be considered better. Besides; you can get your rerecord count as low as you want...
Did Sigfriedxx let the game run for ten or more seconds before playing the movie?
l'appel du vide
Quote:
Me too, I don't know why it keeps desyncing, any special buttons I need to check off?

I used the following:

Full Screen Mode
Mode 7 Smoothing
Transparency Effects
OpenGL - Super 2xSal
Sync to Vertical Blank
Stretch Image in Full Screen Mode (Full Stretch)
32-Bit Color

Try deleting your preference file and use that.  The rest I left at their defaults.

Quote:
Did Sigfriedxx let the game run for ten or more seconds before playing the movie?

I didn't.
I give up, I tried not fast forwarding this time, matching your settings, deleteing old prefs, it just keeps desyncing, and sumaus just runs back and fourth on the elevator pad
Well, there should be five check boxes when you load the movie, and I had only the top one checked.
I deffinatley don't have Any check boxes in the osx wip build 13m13 sent me, that is, no check boxes in the select movie to play window
I'm not trying to start a "console vs TAS" fight again.  Everyone has their opinion on the topic, which is fine with me.  I prefer console runs, for reasons I've stated before, and others prefer TAS runs.  Again, that's fine with me.  I'm sure that, as far as TAS runs go, that this one is top-notch.  They're just not my cup of tea.
The thing that was a bit annoying was that although I'm not planning on watching the movie, I would like to know (out of sheer curiosity) what the final in-game time was.  I asked this, and a couple of different people basically said, "Not gonna tell you, it would ruin the surprise."  Sheesh.  I suppose I should have made it clear in my first post that I wasn't going to watch the movie... but too late now.
If someone who knows the clock time is willing to tell me, but doesn't want to spoil it for everyone else, just send me a PM.
I like Big Butts and I can not lie
snes9x should say this

Keep in mind if you haven't got "read only" ticked then any key you press will stop/change the movie and stay like that, and you would have to download the movie again
l'appel du vide
We're talking Macs, dude.

Dunno what's up, Sig.  I just deleted my preferences and touched nothing; still works fine.  It says "1.43-dev (v60)" under About Snes9x right?
That was an... interesting TAS.  I never would have thought that that was the fastest route.  Best part was definitely the Draygon fight.  There were a few places I noticed where he could have easily saved time but didn't.  Also, it was very funny seeing a final time of

39 minutes
What places were those?  We need to improve them!
Quote from Ryan Ferneau:
What places were those?  We need to improve them!

The oly one that sticks out in my head is going into Red Brinstar after the Brinstar cleanup.  He could have done a speedballand and broken through the bomb blocks in the middle section of platform, which is definitely faster, because not only would he not lose his speed, he also would only have to go about halfway across the platform.  Also, I kinda wish he had been going for best time by the game's timer instead of overall run time, although seeing an MB fight again was interesting.  Speaking of MB, I have never seen anyone not waste missiles or supers on phase one.  The most efficient way is 9 missiles followed by 9 supers.
Quote from Baxter:
I think AngerFist made this topic to let people, who want to see it, know that it is available... and not to start a tas vs regular speedrun thread.

[defends tas for the rest of his post]

:/

any further debate in this thread will be deleted.

and many thanks, monster, for being so siggable.
Quote from nate:
..and many thanks, monster, for being so siggable...

* doesn't see anything he posted here in nate's sig, or anyone's sig, for that matter *
* scratches his head *
You're welcome, I guess.
If the run is ever released as a downloadable movie (.avi, .mpg, etc), I'll probably give it a watch just for giggles.  But, it will be useless to me, as I would have zero chance to incorporate any of these tricks into any run I could do on my SNES.