123 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Bananas GOOD, Kremlings BAD
I just started recording the no-SJ run I always wanted to do.  It was originally going to be a 21%, but I figured why not practice with a segmented?

Anyway, here are the first 3 parts.  The file sizes are larger than they should be, but that should be corrected for the following segments:

Note: Thanks goes to doninss and Andrew Mills for generously giving me some good space to upload the files onto :)

Segment 1 (4 min.)
Segment 2 (13 min.)
Segment 3 (3 min.)

NEW! (3/26/06)
Segment 4 (8 min.)
Segment 5 (6 min.)
Segment 6 (3 min.)

I will probably do one of two things: either I will upload segments as I finish them, or I will release segments in sets of threes.  I haven't decided, yet.
Thread title: 
Quote:
either I will upload segments as I finish them

This one seems to be the best option, because you'll always receive kind words from some people after posting a segment and you'll be motivated to continue the good work.
I really like segment 3, not a single mistake from what i can see Shocked  great work :D
yea segment 3 is my fav too. he didnt even try when he did the 3bj's and lattered bomb jumps on the platforms. nice work!
Yeah, that's because you didn't see the hundreds of thousands of unreCORded mistakes I made!  :x

Anyway, I finally got segments 4 through 6 (37 min.) completed and captured.  I just need to get internet access today to upload them...

EDIT:

Alrighty.  Without further ado, here are segments 4-6.

Segment 4 (8 min.)

This was the most difficult, yet.  The highlights are the Phazon Pit jumps, the Feeding Pit 3bj, the revisited Doomed Entry 3bsj, the Portal Site speed trick, and the shortcut to Judgment Pit.  There were plenty of places to mess up and I did at some, but overwell I say it went well.

Segment 5 - Amorbis (6 min.)

Here's the Amorbis battle - nothing too special.  Of course I battle him (them) operating on limited ammo.  Other than that, pretty basic (except for the lack of space jump boots).

Segment 6(3 min.)

Highlights are the sly avoidance of the Dark Pirate Troopers at the Dark Portal Site, and the (almost) sneaky avoidance of the Pirate Aerotroopers at Central Mining Station.  I messed up a little on the 3bsj because I was supposed to use the pillar bridge for the instant unmorph (oh well).  Hope you like...

The next segment will be up until the beginning of Torvus save station...
awsome job man! cant wait for the next 3 segments!  :)
Thank you.  Hopefully the next segment(s) will be done/available soon.
i hope it wont be too long, you got me pumped up with the awsome speed running! :)
Anywhere, everywhere
Wow! These are some great vids tjp! These vids are really helping me do my own SJ less game. You helped me get through Doomed Entry (the 3bj-bsj is way easier than the earlier 3bj IMO) and Hall of Stairs. Thanks and keep up the good work!
Well, it looks like the posting of the run will have to wait until I get back from deployment.  I just have so much to do and no time to do it in.  So, there aren't any guarantees for any updates until around early-mid summer.  Sorry for anyone who wanted the next segments.  I still VERY MUCH want to complete it all and will probably still be recording segment after segment.  Just the uploads will have to wait.  :|
good luck, and we'll be here waiting when you get back.
We will be patient...no doubt it will be worth it. :D
Important, yet sad news:

It seems as though I made critical errors to my recording process and ruined the run.

- Without a backup, I recorded my segment 7 (from Torvus Entrance to Boost Guardian) on the wrong tape, which ended and stopped recording about 30 seconds before the end of the segment.  I saved, too, so that ruins the whole run.

- I accidentally recorded over a previous segment earlier.

I decided (after crying for an hour) to restart the whole run.

Any going back is gone right now because I erased the old game.  I had recently finished rerecording segment 3 (before Phazon Pit).

I haven't stopped putting energy into the run and I definitely plan on finishing it.

That's all I have to say about that.  I will update when I'm back to where I was before...
Aww...that really sucks! khaaaan

I think that next time, you should copy your game save to an empty slot every time you complete a new segment, it would permanently solve the problem.

Good luck with the next parts of your run!  :D
When you record something, ALWAYS have a back-up. ALWAYS. When I was recording my run (which I really should get back to doing), I kept screwing up the recording and had to start over multiple times. I stopped having to start over when I started my backup file. It sucks that you lost the run. But if you're still going to finish it at some point, I need to come up with a reason to get people to watch my run, too. Maybe I should try single-segmenting it, or going for 100% or something.
So i'm a little confused here, are Mr. Potter's no space jump run and tjp's the same type of run or is there a difference?
tjp's is a speed run, mine is a demonstration. But a speed run is demonstration enough, plus faster, so I need a way that people will watch mine, too. No one wants to watch a slow run when there's a faster run available.
Quote from Mr Potter:
tjp's is a speed run, mine is a demonstration. But a speed run is demonstration enough, plus faster, so I need a way that people will watch mine, too. No one wants to watch a slow run when there's a faster run available.

Well, I would think that two options would be:
(a) "minimalist" no-SJ run
(b) "completist" no-SJ run
In (a) you go for the lowest possible completion %, using any and all tricks available, including SW item skips.  In (b) you get every possible expansion and upgrade, using a multitude of tricks in the process.  Either would be fun to watch, and different enough from tjp7154's speed run that they would both be worth watching.  Or, just go for flat-out speed, and you and tjp could have a friendly competition.
Crying or Very sad Shit. You screwed up? This sucks. I was looking forward to seeing this run.

Also, Monster, if you're reading this, THANK YOU! I got sigged! (in conjunction with another person, but still!)
Yep.  The backup really is the answer.  I can't wait to get back from deployment (Navy stuff), get back home, and get more time to do the run.

"I have not yet BEGUN to fight!" -John Paul Jones
OK.  Good news.  I finally got the run rerecorded up to and PAST where I last left off (Torvus Lagoon).  I'm now working on segment 10, which is Hydrodynamo Save Station to before Grapple Guardian.

Hopefully I'll have all the segments so far uploaded next week or so...
Cool! This will be the most entertaining echoes run!  :P

Nice and funny sig tjp7154. laugh new
Man, I sure hope so.

Plus we can't ALWAYS have "quiet (((((reverberation)))))" hogging up all the speed runs!

EDIT:

Segment 10 taped.  1:03 at 19%.  I got it on the first try.  Next is Grapple Guardian.  I'll use SE's strategy because it's the quickest so far.  I've already successfully done it.  I just need to get it on tape.

Upload of the other segments in less than a week (hopefully).

-Out
Update! (6/11/06)

Alright. Segments 1-12 are COMPLETED and videos are up (see end of message for location). Last saved at Undertemple Shaft Save Station after Grapple Guardian with a time of 1:05. A couple of things:

- Videos are now at 320x240 resolution with NO sound. This is to save upload/download time. These are basically "preview" quality.
- Compared to my old "failed" run -- well, I prefer the old run for the first segments.
- I estimate that there are over 7 minutes of mistakes through the whole run, so it can definitely be optimized. I'm just glad I made it past the annoying segments 2 and 4.  With all the mistakes I was only 1 minute behind the failed run.
- The memory card info is backed up, so the last fiasco will -not- happen this time. 
- For the new segments (Torvus Bog), I think they're pretty good. There are only a couple of retries on key no-SJ tricks (Great Bridge, Polluted Mire, "room with the laser" (forget the name) in Dark Torvus).
- Pretty good Boosty and Grapply battles. I killed Boosty in one round and Grapply the "silent (((((echo)))))" way (thank you SE).

Next segment (#13) is up to the save station before Chykka.

Progress is being made. I know I for one am happy for that. Hope everyone likes the updates...

The videos can be found at:

http://www.freewebtown.com/tttjp/index.html

ONWARD->
Watched the new segments. I was very impressed by the infinite bomb jump you did in gathering hall (underwater torvus) in order to reach the bomb slot. Shocked

Crypt without space jump was also very impressive!