Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote:
To: nate@metroid2002.com
Bcc:
Subject: unlisted glitch for Super Metroid
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:08:17 -0500
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 07 Nov 2005 06:08:18.0076 (UTC) FILETIME=[A5ABCDC0:01C5E361]

I was surprized not to see this listed, i've known about it for a very long
time

This glitch has to do with the graphics (and probably damage) of the beems

there are 2 versions of this glitch:
when you fire your weapon normal / charged
and
when you use the power bomb / beam specials
(will not effect graphics for plasma / pb special, damage maybe)

To see this effect in action:
press start and just before the screen turns black fire a normal or charged
shot
enable or disable any beams and return to the game
the graphic will reflect what is currently selected, sometimes in odd ways
but the shot size type will be of the original weapon (beams stay beams,
single shots stay single, double shots stay double, etc...)

depending on what combinations are selected you will get funky graphics
like:
- squares which look quite funny
- extra skinny/thick beams

this makes it possible to have a tripple beam plasma shot
- fire with spazer and wave beam on and then turn on plasma
or a single... "square" spazer/plasma shot
- fire with charged wave or charged starter beam, turn on spzer or plasma

Now the more useful version, power bomb specials
use the ice beam special, because it lasts longer
after the ice shield is enabled turn on any other beams

Note:
this works with murder beam too, might do extra damage, but will not
persist.
It may cause misscoloration in enemies when they are frozen by it (tourian
metroids turn green)

Also note that if you turn off the ice beam the balls will do NO damage when
they hit enemies. I tried this on the very easiest enemies (wall crawler
dudes), they get hit, flash but will not die.

Now this may be extra usefull if used on the snake boss (batwoon).
Before the balls strike him turn on all the other beams (ice and spazer) and
it may do even more damage. I have not tested that myself.

Please give credit to sneskid (me :))

It would be cool if you can put up some sample videos of this. It looks
cool.

P.S. it seems like i have a different version of the game because no matter
how hard I try i can never glitch past that wall in tourian (the one before
mother brain). Has that glitch been fixed in some later versions of the
game? I dont think i can open green doors from the wrong side either... I
baught my copy long after the game was released...
Mockball and murder beam are not disabled.

I also know a few other minor glitches if you're interested.

thanks.
Thread title: 
red chamber dream
Gotta love those beems.
I knew about the graphic glitches, but I did them when I collected the beams. I'd fire a shot, grab the Spazer, then the shot would be all green and weird. The principle is the same here I suppose. I didn't know that the actual beam strength changes though. The PB one could be very useful.
Embarrasing Fact: Power suit made by lowest bidder
The graphics glitch is very, very old. Already well known.
The damage is identical to if you did not switch the beams.
Ice beam shots do not kill the target if the target is not frozen, *unless* the target cannot be frozen by the specific ice shot used. However, because the pallete for frozen enemies comes from the ice beam itself, enemies can not be frozen if you do not have the ice beam equipped. Ergo, ice beam shots cannot kill *most* enemies if you do not have the ice beam equipped.
They will still do damage, however, if the ice beam shot is incapable of killing the enemy in one hit. Same rules as normal.

And there's only two official versions of the game: NTSC and PAL. I just checked, the Zebetite glitch is not fixed in PAL. The Green Gate glitch is possible, and probably easier as well, because Samus moves faster in PAL than in NTSC.
I've heard about the grapical glitches too (they were cool), but the different damage glitch is cool. It could make beating Ridley in Lower Norfair easier.
Do you think it'd be quicker? havn't tried it out yet though..
To beat ridley I mean, would it take more time to switch than to just pump it with beam weapons?
err...
"The damage is identical to if you did not switch the beams."
Swapping beams around is not going to do increase the damage you can do, period. The glitch in this topic is *purely* graphical, because the colors and tile template from the original beam is overwritten in ram. The damage and damage type are part of the projectile itself, and remain intact.
thanks for posting my email up nate.

I have to say im still not convinced that this glitch doesnt effect the damage (atleast in some cases).
I faught Mother Brain and used the murder beam, but not at the start when her head is on the ground, I used it when she was already standing.
It worked almost like normal murder beam but it only damaged her when the head was close enough to it, so it was like a persistent radial explosion.
After the Metroid gave me Hyper Beam this same explosion caused the mother brains head to pounce back as if she had been hit by the hyper beam (which i was NOT shooting)
After that point I didn't even have to move or fire, it did all the work for me.

Aside from the casting spot of the murder beam there are a few things I did different that may have contributed.
In order to achieve this I never disabled murder beam from the menu after I shot it, all the way up until I recieved Hyper Beam.
In the fight I used missles and power bomb charge specials (and those worked great against her btw)

so all I'm trying to say is... the already fired shot changed its damage and effects. Maybe it doent happen to regular beams... but it happens to this one!

(edit: or maybe it's the way mother brain reacts to getting hit from that point on... although missles dont cause a pounce)

And can someone list me the steps for getting past that wall?
i know it goes something like
- jump to the platfrom
- freeze the oreo from the bottom
- wait untill you get hit by the oreo at the top
- it pushes you to the edge of the platform
- spin jump into the wall
- land as close to the wall as possible
- jump without spinning into the wall
- should glitch through
- this has to be done while the room is shaking

thats how i've seen people do it, and im pretty sure i got all those steps done, but with no success

so help.
Mother Brain's head will snap back in the final battle any time she's hit by a charge-beam type damage attack. This includes all charge beams, murder beam, power bomb beams, and the hyper beam.

Glitching through the Zebetite with the ice beam:
First off, screw attack must be de-equipped. Freeze the bottom Rinka before it moves. Now you need some invincibility time. You can spin jump onto the Rinka and get hurt for 0 damage, so it's free invincibility time. After you're invincible, you need to spin jump onto the Rinka again. Then just jump and hold left. For some reason, low spin jumps seem to work best.

The reason this works: The collision detection detects the frozen Rinka before it bothers to detect the wall, so Samus is placed on top of the Rinka, slightly inside the wall and Zebetite. Normally, the Zebetite will hurt Samus and push her away, because Samus is now in the Zebetite's hitbox. This is why you need to be invincible.
Once you're inside the Zebetite, the game no longer blocks Samus from moving around inside of it, so you're able to simply jump right through it before the invincibility runs out.
Screw attack must be de-equipped, because you lose your invincibility time when you use the Screw attack.
The Murder beam kills Ridley and MB in about the same time regardless of what beams are equipped.

Also, I found a glitch. A few in fact.

1) if you pause right before your energy reaches zero (stand in lava), then unpause and your reserve tanks kick in while the screen is dim, the screen will stay dim like it is while unpausing.

2) If you pause and the screen is black at the exact moment you enter a door, the screen will be balck and remain so until you pause.

3) When the claw in Maridia in the quicksand pit (the one you come to while coming from Crateria) nabbed me one time, I entered the all quicksand room below inside the wall, and couldn't move at all and had to reset. This has only happened once, and I can't get it to do it again. It was the one on the right, and I was just inside the right wall at the top of the screen.
The first two I know of, but I've never heard of the third. I can see how it might be possible, but I have no idea how one would actually accomplish it.
this isnt a major glitch, but it helps uncover how the game was programmed for those bug nests/spawners.
Example: The bee like enemies usually take 2 hits with the starter beam. If you shoot them once, let them escape, the next 1..n to come out will only require one shot. that is: the game doesnt bother to reset their health.

Has anyone bothered beating the game without getting the varia suit? It's the only way I play.

what happens if you do the crystal flash healing while in the wall before mother brain. you might be able to stand up, shoot the brain with missles and start the main fight, while being in the wall.
What if you could make it back to the door, exit and come back?
Quote from sneskid:
what happens if you do the crystal flash healing while in the wall before mother brain. you might be able to stand up, shoot the brain with missles and start the main fight, while being in the wall.
What if you could make it back to the door, exit and come back?
http://www.metroid2002.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4020
Already discussed in the glitch topic. Now we have two glitch topics.
Quote:
Hi Nate!

I´ve got something for your Super-Metroid-Glitches:

All you need is the Plasma-Beam (because it goes through enemies) and the X-Ray-Scope. Now you need an enemy which is tough enough to take at least two or more shots, like the red Key-hunters or the two Pirates which can only be hurt while they´re gold (both in deeper Norfair). If you shoot at one of these (let´s say the pirate), you´ve got to activate and deactivate the X-Ray-Scope quickly. If it is activated the enemy should sparkle white when he´s hit by the beam and every time you deactivate the Scope, you should hear a scream. Of course you´ve got to activate/deactivate it as often as possible, while the beam goes through the pirate, because then he get´s hit up to four times. Using this trick, you just need one charged Plasma+Wave(+Ice)-Shot instead of three to kill this enemy (you can easily hit him with a diagonal shot, while he jumps up to kick you) and you save lots of time and energy.

Will you add this to metroid2002.com? It would make me very proud.
Nice. Does it also work on bosses as well? That would save a couple of seconds in any run.
Hmm. Neat idea, but unless you're using the charge beam it doesn't really have any application.

Time still runs when you're using the x-ray scope. You can shoot uncharged shots faster than the x-ray scope can refresh with this method, so there's not much point to that unless you need to keep the enemy in place for some reason. Using this with charged shots against the elite pirates in LN is probably a good idea, especially if you're low on super missiles. It might work well against the Golden Torizo too, but I kinda doubt it - you can already get two hits per charge beam without having to deal with the x-ray scope timing, and you can make him stay near a wall with little trouble.

Against all the major bosses, Plasma Beams are destroyed on contact, so this doesn't do any good against them. :/

Added to my m3.c list, too. :P Er... who am I supposed to credit, though?
he says that if he recalls correctly, it works on ridley ... can this be confirmed?
That would be awesome since Ridley is one of the more time-consuming bosses to defeat.
It doesn't work on Ridley because the Plasma beam doesn't pass through him. It does work on the gold pirates though. They can be killed with only one charged Plasma/Wave shot. It doesn't seem to work on Gold Torizo either, even though the shots pass through him.