1 page
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Embarrasing Fact: Power suit made by lowest bidder
This one's both tricky and tedious, though. I have done everything required to prove it's possible, but I haven't actually done the entire thing, so no movie, at least for now. So technically, this has never been done yet - if you manage to do it you can claim first. :P

The newest item added to NBMB is the missile set at the entrance of Maridia guarded by speed blocks. As for how you get it, think Fusion 'shinespark' secret... 10 times harder. You have to keep blue suit through 3 rooms in Maridia, and this is a very *temporary* and limited blue suit, not the (relatively) permanent kind of blue suit you get from killing Draygon.

Now, for the details... I recommend that you practice fooling around with the temporary blue suit glitch (explained farther below) before you actually go and try this. It takes a good bit of practice to get used to, but you can use it *anywhere* that you can comfortably reach blue suit speed. A quick clip of it is up at http://www.metroid2002.com/kejardon/StationaryBlueSuit.zip
And feel free to replace all the 'Aim up's with 'Aim down's if you want.

This whole part is assuming you don't have the grapple beam... you can skip this section if you have it.
To begin with, you have to enter Maridia through what is traditionally an exit. Go to the top-right part of Brinstar, where the elevator to between Samus's ship and the Wrecked ship is. You need to get above this room; head up via x-ray climb. It's a *long* climb because of the elevator, though. >_>
From here, you have to head far enough right to make the first block of the door touchable. 36 repeats + 2 screens, 3 screens wide, that's A4 screens right, or 164 in decimal. Or you can go left 1C repeats - 2 screens, or 84 total in decimal, but you'll have to be careful not to touch any other doors on that path.
Going right, you need to jump *over* the path the elevator normally goes to, otherwise you'll wind up in the elevator room up above. Assuming you jump that and constantly head right, you'll see Samus 82 times, then you need to hit the door while Samus is off-screen. This is kinda tricky, since there's another door just on-screen, behind the door you want to hit.
Going left, you'll see Samus 42 times, then you need to *jump* over the door, then come back and enter it from the other side.
No, I didn't go through very much detail considering how many obstacles will be in your way. If you manage to stay all the way above the room (say, doing a super jump), you can avoid them all, though. That's not really the interesting part of getting the missile set, anyways.

All this is just to get Samus inside a room you normally can't reach without the Gravity Suit or grapple beam (since aquiring the grapple beam is debatedly against NBMB rules). If you do get the grapple beam, you can just enter this room from Maridia instead; go to the tube entrance, head up as normal, then grapple to the top-center of the huge room, and grapple into the top door.

From here, re-enter the elevator room, as if you were exiting Maridia. Open the super missile gate and the door.
You have to do a short charge to the right. It doesn't have to be a perfect short charge, but you do want to keep your speed down. In the next room, you have to jump, then speedball through the tunnel to the right. When you come out, keep holding right, then demorph so you land *before* you pass the first ledge, hold aim up, and let go of right. You should still have blue suit while crouching.
This is *extremely* difficult to pull off. You must be moving fairly slow to be able to land before you pass the first ledge, so you have to pull off a pretty good short charge. This at least, I can make a movie of... with a few cheats.
Every time Samus hits select in this movie is when you need to have B held down. Or you can study Samus's graphics: Every time her front foot (closest one to you, regardless of which way Samus is facing) hits the ground, you must have B held down.
http://www.metroid2002.com/kejardon/ShortCharge.zip

This blue suit is *VERY* easily lost; ALWAYS hold aim up or aim down whenever Samus is on the ground. Also, you can't actually move left or right, and the only way you can turn around is with the x-ray scope. While still aiming up, hold jump, then move right a bit, so Samus is past the first ledge, and aim down. 3 or 4 blocks before Samus lands, morph into a ball and hold forward and aim up. Then demorph right before Samus lands, let go of forward, and keep holding aim up.
That's the basics of moving around with this temporary blue suit.
Note that you *must* be moving forward while in a ball, or you will lose blue suit. While you're jumping, you just have to hold jump, either aim button, or any direction. I recommend getting used to holding jump, because you have to use it to morph into a ball. Also, do NOT run into any walls, or you will lose blue suit.

Jump right again, and get close to the ledge to the right (but do NOT touch it), then morph as you're falling past it, then hold right. You'll fall to another ledge. Demorph and aim up on it, again. Equip the x-ray scope and turn it on, turn around, then let go and hold aim down. You'll probably want to snipe the shark and kill it and open the door while you're up here. Jump, go left, morph, and demorph onto the ground next to the door. Jump, go left, morph, fall into the door, then demorph onto the platform.

From here on out, I assume you know to morph and demorph before landing.

From here, you have a few options, depending on how daring you want to be. The quickest method is to jump to the left, fire a charged shot at the crab currently going down the wall, land,  then jump onto the crab, and then jump, morph at the height of your jump, and demorph immediately onto the ledge. I would recomend this strategy, it isn't really any harder than other methods, and less tedious.

It's pretty simple to practice this with a fully equipped Samus, just de-equip the gravity suit. The crab *only* moves when on screen, so the idea is to freeze it at the same time it appears on screen, so that it's as high as possible on the wall.

If you fail to freeze the crab (or just don't want to try), you'll have to knock the crab off of the middle platform with a super missile. This is the only crab that will move up the wall on the left, which is what you need. You have to follow it (or have it follow you) to the wall on the left, then repeatedly jump and land on it, and keep freezing it. It's a lot faster to de-equip the high jump boots while you're doing this, to keep the crab on screen.
Keep in mind the crab will go into the secret passage on the left. You'll have to jump off and land on the platform to the right, then head right, then turn around and head back left to scroll most of the secret passage onto the screen so the crab will return. From here, it's fairly easy to freeze the crab and get onto the top left ledge.

Either way, you can continue from there on without the aid of crabs. Kill them if you want, then head left to the door. Go in and follow the path down to the missile set, then just jump up through the speed blocks to the missile container.

Fusion's 'shinespark' secret has nothing on Super Metroid's NBMB run. ;)

::edit:: gah. I realized I said 'Zero Mission' right when I went to bed. Ignore my momentary stupid attack, please.

Kejardon
Thread title: 
Quote from Kejardon:
As for how you get it, think Zero Mission 'shinespark' secret...

So it's non-existent?
Well, you probably know my first reaction...

How does the temporary blue suit work?  What does aiming up or down have to do with it?  What makes the frame with her foot on the ground different from when it's not -- is that when the game checks her speed, or something?  Why is the moving sideways while morphed crucial?  Etc., etc., etc.  =)

Hope someone encodes that so I can see it.
Oddly, I can answer most of those questions at once.

The temporary blue suit works because the game never realizes that Samus stops or does anything else to end the blue suit. But if you do a single thing that tells the game that Samus stopped, you lose blue suit.
Basically, all the stuff you do is to avoid those checks the game makes.

::edit:: Doh. I missed your middle question.
The game developers just decided to check Samus's input at that moment. If you're holding the run button at that moment, 7E:0B3F is incremented. Once it reaches 4, Samus has blue suit.
I('d) like to watch (some MP3 runs)
Bleh, more out of the area stuff..long live 73%.
Trust me, the out-of-area idea was a last resort. Despite the other glitches and abilities Samus has available, there's just no other way I can think of to get inside that specific room. :/ If one of the crabs would move even when off-screen, you could do it... or if that gate was facing the other direction, or if the floating platform was just one block higher up, or if there were other freezable enemies nearby, or...
Just read the topic, I somehow like that stationary blue suit glitch...

Just wondering,why can't you go from the glass tube all the way up to the missile with that blue suit?

And is there any way to get that blue suit while standing ,not crouching? I just thought that saving/going into the ship might skip the "blue-suit-check",too, so that you would have a "real" blue suit. But you need to stand for both (you can aim when trying to go into the ship though).
It probably wouldn't work, but it would be quite awesome if it would.
I tried plenty of things to get the blue suit while standing, nothing seems to work.
As for coming from below, I tried that, but there doesn't seem to be any way to jump high enough without gravity suit, since you can't spin jump to wall jump.
i dont mean to mok u kej, but isnt the point of NBMB not to kill bosses? the only way to get the "Blue Suit" is you kill Draygon(A Boss).
This isn't the same blue suit you get from killing Draygon. This is just the normal blue suit you get from running up to full speed. You just have to pull a bunch of acrobats to keep it for a full 3 rooms.

Trust me, I'm well-aware of the point of NBMB. :P
lol no way
Haha, that was the best post ever... the one above yours, Kej. Totally rad. Thank you.