<- 1  -   of 3455 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
in the name of justice!
Ark, seriously, you and me are the only people I know who liked that.

Honestly, I don't think the handlebars on a Dual Shock are positioned correctly, other than that, it's an okay controller...but it's not any more comfortable to hold than an SNES controller in my opinion, even though it seems like they were going for that.
Quote from Spine Shark:
Ark, seriously, you and me are the only people I know who liked that.

Honestly, I don't think the handlebars on a Dual Shock are positioned correctly, other than that, it's an okay controller...but it's not any more comfortable to hold than an SNES controller in my opinion, even though it seems like they were going for that.

I also liked the N64 controller, especially the Z button and the analog stick.  For whatever reason, I never learned the proper way to hold it, and when I found out I had been holding it wrong, I decided my way was better.

As for Sony's controllers, they're just SNES controllers with analog sticks in the worst possible places and extra shoulder buttons that are hard to use, And they're less comfortable.
Personally, if the controller doesn't make my hands hurt after an hour or two of use, I like it, and so far I haven't encountered such a controller.  The 360 controller is great (with the little experience I've had with it...), especially the wireless capabilites, though the double shoulder button thing is not the best in the world when you want to use two on the same side at once.
Quote from BlueGlass:
I also liked the N64 controller, especially the Z button and the analog stick.  For whatever reason, I never learned the proper way to hold it, and when I found out I had been holding it wrong, I decided my way was better.

What way is that?
Quote from Chanoire:
What way is that?

I put my left hand on the left prong with my index finger on L and my thumb on the control stick and my right hand on the right prong with my index finger on R, my thumb on the A, B, and C buttons, and my middle finger on the Z button.
i'm in the same boat. n64 was confusing...

as for the 360 controllers, they're a masterpiece: confortable and sleek. oh yeah: master controllers. the black and white buttons could be moved, though. and the absence of a cord means i can't strangle my little brother (a.k.a. emperor ridley). shame...
l'appel du vide
Quote from Blue:
I put my left hand on the left prong with my index finger on L and my thumb on the control stick and my right hand on the right prong with my index finger on R, my thumb on the A, B, and C buttons, and my middle finger on the Z button.

o_O

What?
red chamber dream
Quote from 13M13:
Quote from Blue:

o_O

What?

Well, it's not really that unusual. When we first got our N64, being a kid (seven), I did not know how to hold the controller at first, either. Granted, I figured it out after a day or two (especially when I read the Star Fox manual, which I belive gives a drawing of how to hold the controller within), but it was intimidating at first. It's by far the most interesting controller, and I think it's wonderful in that both the joystick and the D-Pad are always in the perfect spot. You want to play a shooter; you move your left hand to the left prong and your right hand to the middle prong, shoot with Z, move with the D-Pad and joystick combined (or just the D-Pad), and switch weapons with L. That's all you really need in a classic shooter: it's too bad that not many developers ran with Nintendo's simplistic idea. The N64 controller was ideally awesome; it just wasn't utilised to its full potential. I feel it would have done more successfully on, say, the X-BOX, where shooters and the like are the main focus.
Quote from Blue:

Ah…

Reminds me of the whole thing with this guy I know…

Basically, the guys who lived one floor above him in college bought an N64 and Smash, and they took and mastered every aspect of the game.  Then they held a tournament. 

In addition to all of this, I heard that one of the guys thought that the "normal" way of holding the controller was silly, since you couldn't reach every button, so he developed a way similar to yours.  Difference was that he put his index finger on the D-pad and middle finger on L.  I tried it for myself once and found it possible to play just as well, but it was uncomfortable when compared to the conventional way, so I didn't stick with it.
Cook of the Sea
Quote from Arkarian:
You want to play a shooter; you move your left hand to the left prong and your right hand to the middle prong, shoot with Z, move with the D-Pad and joystick combined (or just the D-Pad), and switch weapons with L.

WHAT THE HELL.  I never knew that was how you were supposed to play Goldeneye.  Why does no one TELL me these things.
Quote from SABERinBLUE:
WHAT THE HELL.  I never knew that was how you were supposed to play Goldeneye.  Why does no one TELL me these things.

You didn't ask...
wow, me and my friends used to always play with our left hands on the middle thing, and our right hands on the right thing, unsing the c buttons in lieu of a right analog stick if i remember correctly.  i need to find somebody with an N64 and play that again...
everybody knows it's true
Quote from SABERinBLUE:
Quote from Arkarian:
You want to play a shooter; you move your left hand to the left prong and your right hand to the middle prong, shoot with Z, move with the D-Pad and joystick combined (or just the D-Pad), and switch weapons with L.

Dear Saber,

You can play a shooter by moving your left hand to the left prong and your right hand to the middle prong, shoot with Z, move with the D-Pad and joystick combined (or just the D-Pad), and switch weapons with L.

XOXO,

Mr. Aran

There. You've been told those things.
Time bomb set get out fast!
Man.  Nate may not have it easy when it comes to running this forum, but I bet he's never had to ban himself....
Armor Guardian
Quote from Zeke:
Man.  Nate may not have it easy when it comes to running this forum, but I bet he's never had to ban himself....

ROFLMAO! XD
OH MY GOD, HOW DID I MISS IT?

Erm, I mean....huh.

Mind you, that is the best technique I've ever seen to prevent hotlinking, even though I didn't actually see it. Huh.

Huh.
One shall stand, one shall ball.
Heh, I guess if you really hate hotlinking that's the most effective way to show it. If you can make a webmast ban himself you may well have found the ultimate power.
red chamber dream
Quote from SABERinBLUE:

Does Goldeneye have double-axis movement? I never knew that ... go playing the game only like, twice.
Everyone I know played it the "normal" way (left hand on center prong, right hand on right prong) - I think. I never knew that you could play Goldeneye in the way I described; I was referring to other shooters.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Goldeneye has like, 60 zillion different button configs... quite a few of them involving two controllers.
Quote from tomatobob:
Heh, I guess if you really hate hotlinking that's the most effective way to show it. If you can make a webmast ban himself you may well have found the ultimate power.

iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
Quote from Yoshi348:
Goldeneye has like, 60 zillion different button configs... quite a few of them involving two controllers.

Would I be correct in guessing it involves holding the middle prong of a controller in each hand?

If so, sweet. If not, it would have been sweet.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
I'm pretty sure one of them did that. Maybe. There might not have been enough buttons in that case to play well.
Šђịήїğǻмỉ
It would have worked. Left Z to change weapon(s), right Z to shoot. One control stick to move, the other to aim.
in the name of justice!
The only button that I can think of that would be missing would be the one that opens doors...
red chamber dream
Quote from Duo Maxwell:
It would have worked. Left Z to change weapon(s), right Z to shoot. One control stick to move, the other to aim.

How awkward. But I guess it's the only way to get dual-joystick control.