123 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Not impossible
just highly unlikely
Okay, so maybe it's a bit early to be talking about this yet, but as the Boy Scouts say, always be prepared. And this will be an issue in the nearish future.

Okay, so we have the Nintendo DS, a handheld platform of sheer awesome and innovation that I love to itty bitty little bits. The problem, however, inherently lies within its unique design. That is, how the fuck are you going to record a DS speed run?

Now, as of right now this isn't really an issue. The only Metroid games coming out for the system right now are Hunters and Pinball. The speed run potential of Hunters is questionable (who knows what kind of single player it'll offer, but if the demo is any indication this will mostly be a single stage high score deal), and... well... Pinball is pinball. So recording isn't an immediate concern. However, the sequal to Fusion is in the works for the system, and I have a feeling people are going to want to run it.

Granted, we haven't seen so much as a screenshot yet, but the earlier we start talking about it, maybe the earlier we can come up with a solution.  Right now though, options look pretty limited.

A quick Google search confirms that there are several emulators in the works, although none of them work in a practical sense. Now, emulated runs are not accepted on m2k2 or SDA, but if this becomes the only way to record DS games, would an exception be considered? The problem here is that, thanks to the touch screen, using an emulator for DS games is potentially worse, control-wise, than using the system itself. Now, we don't really know the touch screen functions of Fusion 2 (as I will tentatively call it), but thinking in terms of Kirby Canvas Curse, using a mouse would be murder (imo anyway). Couple that with slowdown and what have you (comes standard with every emu!), and you don't really have an accurate representation of what can be done in the game.

There may be a slim, SLIM chance that a 'DS Player' could be made available for Revolution. Either the Rev controller could act as a laser pointer defacto stylus, or the DS itself could be used as a wireless controller. I don't really see either method being any kind of practical, so I'm betting this ain't gonna happen.

So... any ideas anyone?
Thread title: 
Step 1: Get a parrot.
Step 2: Train parrot to sit on your shoulder. Get used to this sensation.
Step 3: Kill parrot. Make sure legs are intact.
Step 4: Salvage legs and attach to a camcorder.
Step 5: Place camcorder on shoulder.
Step 6: Speedrun away.

Okay, so there may be a simpler option than this. I do remember seeing something where someone held a DS in front of a camera, and it didn't look that bad. Maybe a cap with a quality webcam attached to it wouldn't go astray.
I think Nintendo might release a game recording device for private use (as in they're not in retailers, but direct for Nintedo) becuase they <b>know</b> we want to record. Or an adapter that fits into a slot (not game slot) of the DS and attaches to the GC/Rev.

EDIT: Simu-post!
Quote from radu242:
I think Nintendo might release a game recording device for private use (as in they're not in retailers, but direct for Nintedo) becuase they <b>know</b> we want to record.

They do? I'm pretty sure it's just a question about whether they can make money on it or not.
nah. either we get a ds player, or we use camcorders. pretty simple in my mind.

and hejira ... so violent. >_>
Nonsense. If it was violence, there wouldn't be any legs for the rest of the process.

You drug the parrot. Heavily. Or shove it down a coalmine and hope its grandfather was a canary.
Cook of the Sea
I think there has got to be a way to jimmy the audio and video of a DS through a VCR.  Doesn't the PSP have something like this? 

Also, what are the odds that they might release a DS Player that merely uses a DS as a controller?
Quote from SABERinBLUE:
I think there has got to be a way to jimmy the audio and video of a DS through a VCR.  Doesn't the PSP have something like this? 

http://www.teamxtender.com/

I don't know.. that's not really... >_>
Not impossible
just highly unlikely
I guess a camcorder could work in a pinch. My worry about that, though, is that for some stylus-intesive games, the bottom view would be blocked out by your hand for a lot of the time. That probably won't be an issue with Fusion 2 though, depending on what they do with it. It shouldn't be an issue for Hunters, since we don't really need to see the map.
Maybe they'll make some sort of plug-in and a special recording device thingy for it.
soaking through
There's gotta be some way to get the signal out, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be able to at shows and stuff.
Yeah, that is a good point. They might make a version 2 recording system for us to use.

Got it! They could connect the DS to a PC via USB port and record from there...or something like that...
soaking through
I really doubt they will, tbh.  How many people would buy something that just lets you record off a DS?  Our best bet would probably be to try and alter a DS to nick the signal or something along those lines.
Oh well, that's me stumped.
yeah, i agree that it's probably possible through homebrew (read: grenola), but wow, that could get expensive trying to make ones for everyone. also, the odds of it working with pal anything except maybe pal-60 would not be good.
soaking through
Quote from njahnke:
yeah, i agree that it's probably possible through homebrew (read: grenola)

Rotfl.  But what's the problem with pal?
red chamber dream
Quote from SABERinBLUE:
Also, what are the odds that they might release a DS Player that merely uses a DS as a controller?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Don't see why it wouldn't work. The TV screen could be split to show both DS screens.
soaking through
I think Saber meant that that would be pointless, as a DS player when you already have a DS would just be silly.  Ergo, we have little chance of getting one of them.

At least that's what I read into it.
Cook of the Sea
Well, they might make one so other people can watch you play.  Or a third-party might make one.
Strategy Guide Writer
Quote from SABERinBLUE:

Pirates do something similar when they make their "Telecine/telesynch" copies of movies. You record the footage on a camcorder and then hook the audio up directly to the sound source (in a pirates case, the movie projector itself). Thus you get perfect quality sound, and as long as the camcorder isn't the kind to drop any frames (so possibly one of those cmacorders that use small digital tapes then) you'll be able to ensure that the audio and video are in perfect synch.

So you just hook the DS into the camcorder through the headphone jack (3.5mm -> phono). It's either that or listen to BG noise, clicky buttons and players swearing at their DS's...
Quote from Andrew Mills:
"Telecine"

Telecine is basically a VHS-rip. :P

And TS is absolutely rubbish, TC can be ok sometimes, though.
Not impossible
just highly unlikely
Quote from Izo:
I think Saber meant that that would be pointless, as a DS player when you already have a DS would just be silly.  Ergo, we have little chance of getting one of them.

At least that's what I read into it.

I did say any manner of DS Player would be impractical. Unless they released some special touch-screen controller along with the Player (which would be silly), then it's the only way I could think of without using the Revolution controller. Even the Rev controller would be pretty bad, since you'd either have to push a button to 'touch,' or you would have to jab the controller foreward, which could get pretty weird.

All in all, I don't think we'll see a DS Player. There's just too much stuff to work around to make it worth it to the big N, I'd say.
red chamber dream
Well, either way, I'm sure that someone could think up a way to get what you see on the DS onto your TV screen. Even if it's just one screen. Or have two TVs, with one screen shown on each, though I don't see how that would even be possible with today's wiring technology.
ds is 60 fps, right? so pal = no syncy.
soaking through
Oh, right.  But what's the limiter?  The TV?  Because I've got about 3 60 Hz TV screens in my house.  >_>