<- 1  -   of 67 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from Lance Uppercut:
It would be nice to see someone provide a playthrough that doesn´t explore and fights the bosses quite effectively. It would be too much to expect any precise play at this point.

I tried to record some myself but i only managed to finish Crocomire and enter the morph ball maze. Maybe i will continue it, but at least not right now.

About saving the animals.... it must be impossible. I managed to get to the room with the animals so I know they are there but time runs out soon after that.

yes, as you can see i only made it to spore spawn. lol congrats, though. when recording my vid i used savestates but no slowdown.

exploring is almost required before lower norfair, although the route should be planned ahead of time to grab the items in the most efficient manner possible.
Well, this kind of run shouldn´t be too hard to plan because you can make changes while you play. The most important thing would be to avoid unnecessary travelling or waiting, because that´s what is taking so damn long while playing normally. If it´s just for the exhibition, slowdown can also be used if it makes some parts of the run more "viewable".

I recorded up to Crocomire with v1.1 but luckily it didn´t desynch before the fight so i redid that part quickly and managed to switch outright to v1.2.  I just thought those blocks Saturn added next to the energy tank would kind of interrupt with the rest of the movie  :)
I also know roughly the route through the maze so i might consider continuing with this. We´ll see...

EDIT: Boy did i become excited again. I finished the maze in notime, got my precious boots and even DBJ:d over the lake already! Phantoon will be killed many times in my dreams and maybe a little later for real. This thing is already 39 minutes long, what might the ending time be if I finish this someday...
Well, this kind of run shouldn´t be too hard to plan because you can make changes while you play. The most important thing would be to avoid unnecessary travelling or waiting, because that´s what is taking so damn long while playing normally. If it´s just for the exhibition, slowdown can also be used if it makes some parts of the run more "viewable".

I recorded up to Crocomire with v1.1 but luckily it didn´t desynch before the fight so i redid that part quickly and managed to switch outright to v1.2.  I just thought those blocks Saturn added next to the energy tank would kind of interrupt with the rest of the movie  :)
I also know roughly the route through the maze so i might consider continuing with this. We´ll see...

EDIT: Boy did i become excited again. I finished the maze in notime, got my precious boots and even DBJ:d over the lake already! Phantoon will be killed many times in my dreams and maybe a little later for real. This thing is already 39 minutes long, what might the ending time be if I finish this someday...

well, the in-game time would be around 25 minutes sounds like (unless your already referring to the ingame time, and not the length of the video)

i think your finishing time would be somewhere around 1:30. video length around 1:50 or so.

like i said i dont use slowdown, but lower norfair (and draygon) are an exception  Wink

i actually killed ridley 3 times, because the first 2 times i couldnt survive through his death animation. i should have stocked up on power bombs in the energy tank room so i could do more CF's. i went into ridley's chamber with 8 supers  aiwebs_016
Yes I did mean the length of the movie file, not the ingame time. I didn´t use slowdown very much in my recording and it shows at some places, for example the Kraid fight really stinks but can´t be helped... My movie file also starts from the morph ball room, but i think that doesn´t matter because there´s nothing interesting before that. Maybe the escape, but that can be done separately if needed. I assume most people here have already seen the intro thingie for like thousand times.

Also my rerecord count got screwed up somehow because I recorded earlier movie and some testing with that same movie file. Well, the count is now about 600 so this really isn´t tassing nor speedrunning, this is nothing  :)
This is kind of embarrassing, but how was the gauntlet energy tank supposed to be taken normally. I got it with CF in version 1.1 but now Saturn has changed that one too.

I´ve made some progress, now finishing item collection for Lower Norfair. It doesn´t look too promising, the in-game time is now 1:50 and the movie lenght is 2:15 so almost any movie of this game is going to be hella long. Not that i think my smv is that great but it just seems that finishing this game is a long task for Samus.  :)
This is kind of embarrassing, but how was the gauntlet energy tank supposed to be taken normally. I got it with CF in version 1.1 but now Saturn has changed that one too.

I´ve made some progress, now finishing item collection for Lower Norfair. It doesn´t look too promising, the in-game time is now 1:50 and the movie lenght is 2:15 so almost any movie of this game is going to be hella long. Not that i think my smv is that great but it just seems that finishing this game is a long task for Samus.  :)

yes it definitely is longer than usual. probably because of the large amount of things you need to do in maridia without the gravity. im sure we will all watch it though, if you finish it, so keep it up man. im lookin forward to it.  you will have the first speed record for smi  Wink  as long as it doesnt exceed 5 hours or so.
Yes i think the time will be under 2:30 in-game. LN shouldn´t take that long because last time i went back to upper Norfair after GT for refilling. I do suspect that i have to refill quite a bit after the torizo fight, but that shouldn´t take too long.

I am still wondering about the energy tank in the Gauntlet. Apparently the exit i took after the CF trick in previous version was not the entrance there. Help me please? BlueGlass?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the finishing time could be anything. I still have to visit a few places before Tourian and the MB fight is also quite long, even if it is "optimized". We´ll just see...
is it done yet?
Nope, I don´t have time just yet to make progress, maybe at the end of the week...

I would also like to have that energy tank from the Gauntlet, do you know how to get it? If i can´t reach it, i´ll just proceed without it. Darn that Saturn for eliminating glitching  :)
i honestly don't think it is obtainable.
It has to be obtainable because Saturn says all the items are. Those other items, missiles and such are also a bitch to find out how to get ´em, but I am very curious about the methods. I´ve tried many many ways, bombed every single block in those rooms and no success to any of those hard items. Maybe we find out one day...

Anyway, I think I´ll continue and perhaps finish my playthrough today or in a couple of days now that I have more time again. I´ll just skip that stupid energy tank and go get the reserve tank from wrecked ship instead. I visited that place too many times, but luckily we have fast forward  :)
It´s done! My quessing about the ingame time under 2:30 was correct, clear time is 2:27  :)
Movie file is about 3 hours long. (sigh...)

This should provide some answers to people who are wondering where to go next, although some actions are either unnecessary or done differently from normal.

A couple of notes about this movie:

- My first recording ever, it shows especially in the sloppy beginning but don´t worry, it should be better later on. Also this movie starts from the first elevator but that shouldn´t matter, the only interesting thing before that was the escape. First I didn´t even know i´m going to make a semi-proper playthrough so the first sections of this movie are very sloppy.

- Most of this movie is played at normal speed. Some slowdown was used in Draygon, Golden Torizo and Ridley fights and some minor parts of the normal gameplay.

- A couple of times i wander away from the route but only for a few seconds. Well, makes it more human I quess  =)
The only thing that bugs me is that i visited wrecked ship one time too much, but that shouldn´t matter that much either.

- I´ll check this movie myself one more time to make sure it does not desynch, but at least it played well until Lower Norfair last time I checked.

- This time playing was a BIT easier than the first time around, what with all the additional missiles for boss fights and energy tanks and such  :)

Anyone who wants to watch this, enjoy!
thanks, lance. watching now  grin new  im going to make a new one, probably with a route quite similar to yours.  i have to agree with the beginning being pretty bad, it was like watching my little sister trying to play the original  :P just kidding...wasnt THAT bad. still pretty bad though.
Yeah this route is basicly allright, just needs some polishing.

More notes...

- I didn´t know before that the super missile after Botwoon is actually obtainable without Spring Ball but here you go  :)

- Also didn´t remember getting the Spring Ball was so tedious, maybe obtaining that can be optimized quite a bit. Those low energy situations are the best, especially when you wind up having 1hp.

- Did I miss some obvious super missiles or energy tanks before Lower Norfair (knowing the gauntlet tank already) ?

- I think that sub 2 hour run is possible, but that will require quite a gameplay already. All the items (well, that much reqular missiles at least) are not that needed after all.
before going to lower norfair, you missed a major energy tank, which is the one in green brinstar before the jumping etecoons (?) where you have to crystal flash through a crumbling block. that's the only energy tank you missed as far as i can tell, besides the one in gauntlet but as far as we know that is unobtainable.

i didnt even know the spring-ball super missile after botwoon was obtainable, nice find  8-) 

here is what i picked up that could have been largely improved:

-extra trip to wrecked ship

-extra trip to crocomire's room (next time i would sequence break this, for anyone who tries to speed run this hack)

-the spring ball area could have been a bit better, i agree, but hey, its the first complete speed run.

-my personal opinion, i think you should have used more enemy/spike jumps. rerecords don't matter in this hack as long as not too much slowdown is used (except for obvious parts, no doubt)

-in lower norfair, after gold torizo, you should be able to make it to the E-tank before ridley without using any CF's. you should also only need to use 1 CF after that point, unless of course you need to gather supers (i had a max of 25 at this time, thanks for pointing out the other 2 tanks) this will cut down lots of time if fetching missiles is kept to a minimum.
but i did like the strategy of refilling missiles on the fire fleas, recharging enemies again before continuing

-its quite easy to make it up the gold-pirate shaft in lower norfair without killing any. slowdown may be used here. for the one at the top, use a save state and midair-morph over him to save lots of time.

-save the energy tank before ridley until after your completely stocked up on power bombs, since the heat rooms will deplete your energy when you come back and forth to restock some more.

-gold torizo can be hit by regular missiles as well, when he's about to use his zapper attack.

-and most of all avoid being hit at all in lower norfair, this is the biggest time saver because it can mean the difference between having to use a CF or not.
Nice points you got there, but I´m still pointing out that this isn´t really a speedrun because a large portion of this movie is for exhibition purposes only. It´s a little like a quide for new players who are stuck and can´t find an answer written down or something. Hence the name playthrough instead of speedrun.
This is a good platform to jump into speedrun I suppose...

About the etecoon energy tank... WOW, I didn´t find that first OR second time around. Now that you pointed it out, I tried and got it. I was kinda wondering where that tank had disappeared.

I didn´t quite catch what you meant by extra trip to Crocomire´s room but I know that route was not very well planned. At least that energy tank is not that much sequence breakable, because you need power bombs to get it.

Of course, when speedrunning, damage boost should be done wherever possible and saving time.

About Norfair... you´re right about reaching that firefly energy tank without CF, but I just didn´t bother to reach superhuman skills with slowdown and rerecords. Not getting hit is also very reasonable but for normal playing, that would be almost impossible. Maybe this is good to prove that you don´t need slowdown in most places in this game to clear them.

This might be a little confusing because I used a couple of tricks (Shinespark through pillars before first pirates in norfair, short-charge blue suit at the beginning of norfair etc.) to make this more speedy and entertaining but those are definately quite difficult in realtime.

And last, I wish I had continued that v1.1 because there would have been more cool glitches but then again, everyone has the v1.2 at this point so it would have been pretty meaningless... I think i´m going to make a couple of smvs about some items that are hard to get or can be obtained in a more odd way than usual. But not right now  =)

That 100% of this game truely is a monster  :x
well, if someone were to find the x-ray scope, 100% would be reached in no time.  in fact i bet blueglass has found the x-ray already, but just wants to get 100% before telling us  :P oh well. it was a nice playthrough though, and maybe i had version 1.1 when i sequence broke crocomire's energy tank. because there were no power bomb blocks there. 

also, i made it through lower norfair using realtime play, and a total of 4 savestates (one at the beginning of most rooms, AFTER gold torizo, of course  8-) ) and i was able to make it to the energy tank with 2 full tanks and reserve tanks left. the only tricky part is the gold space pirate shaft, but i guess the mid-air morph over the one at the top can just be replaced with a couple of charged plasma's and not cost too much time.  actually, the most trouble i had in lower norfair, besides ridley, was space jumping in between the spikes right after GT... Embarassed
Yeah, version 1.1 had several nice spots that are now "fixed" for v1.2 like get the gauntlet e-tank with CF, get Crocomire e-tank early, get snail room missile and super with glitching through the ceiling with the help of snails and such...they are all gone now.

Maybe this can be viewed with 1.1 too, I´m not sure about that. If I had used 1.1 and get the croco e-tank early, it would have messed up 1.2 totally, so this way should be better.
No, I haven't found it yet.

And apparently someone either got it through cheats or actually found the thing and discovered that the paths to the items are invisible to xray.  Also, about the etecoon etank, the way you're supposed to get it is:
above the door out of the room is a long line of super mssile blocks that are in front of a morphball tunnel that leads to the etank.
Well i´ll be... yet another thing for Saturn to fix for v1.3 if he thinks that way to use CF to get the tank is too glitchy.

Then again, aren´t we supposed to use CF to reach old charge beam e-tank and the snail room missiles (supers with extra short charge I assume?) ? It´s very hard to define what CF is a glitch and what is not.

I have power bombed about every possible wall in norfair, maridia and wrecked ship and almost everything in brinstar and crateria and still haven´t found the x-ray. If "well hidden" means that one cannot find it this way, then what other searching options there might be.... Saturn did mention that it shouldn´t be impossible to find. I have found a couple of missiles while doing the bombing so that should help with 100% if we give up the individual work and put our heads together for all the items.

One more thing, how are we supposed to obtain those couple of missiles that apparently have no paths leading to them (green brinstar tube missile, norfair reserve tank missile and of course that stupid Gauntlet missile tank)? I tried searching for path from very very long away with bombing every block in the walls, floors and ceilings but came out empty-handed. Anyone found out yet?
No, the old charge beam etank is reached by simply going out of the room to the top-left of it in ball form, and pressing left against the wall while going through the crumble blocks. That one was pretty cleverly hidden, yet not too obscure to find. I really enjoyed it.
I have found a couple of missiles while doing the bombing so that should help with 100% if we give up the individual work and put our heads together for all the items.

One more thing, how are we supposed to obtain those couple of missiles that apparently have no paths leading to them (green brinstar tube missile, norfair reserve tank missile and of course that stupid Gauntlet missile tank)?
Combining our efforts would probably be a good idea.  I honestly don't think finding everything is possible otherwise.

And as for the Gauntlet missiles,
the bottom block in each wall is a super missiles block.
  And I remember someone saying they got the norfair rtank missiles.
Ah sorry, i screwed up when i said gauntlet missile tanks, i meant that energy tank or course... missile tanks are okay.

I have made a couple of smvs for a couple of missile tanks in upper norfair that may have been undiscovered, I can post them here if someone wants to take a look.

I didn´t find the entrance to the green brinstar etecoon e-tank. I did enter the morph ball tunnel from the other end so now I know it´s there at least  :)
i have gotten the green brinstar tube missiles. a good idea would be to take off all beams and shoot everywhere, since you will be able to know when there's a hidden passage. it seems saturn uses these more than power-bombable-blocks.  the tube tank can be found by traveling upward just before the blue gate. i think. my mind's a little fuzzy.  and it really is disgustingly rediculous that the x-ray won't work in this hack, i thought each block is automatically coded to change or not to change when highlighted by the x-ray, the same way they are coded for wall jumps. do you think saturn changed this code?
That would be very nice *hopes one of them is the
missiles by Grapple

Anyway, it seems that, for everything but xray
if there's items in a room in regular SM, there's the same number of items in a room in Impossible
.  Exceptions to this are the room to the left of the WS, where I haven't found anything, the turtle room, where I only found 1 item, and the room with the first PBs.  And if anyone is still short on any items other than missiles and xray, I could try to help you out, because I have everythng but those.

EDIT: Thanks, icheatatgolf!  searching now.