<- 1  -   of 64 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Sorry, as I stated in the Impossible thread, I am a little drunk  :P

But seriously, are those adapters available anywhere. Would not be too much of a trouble to just buy one and use the controller you like.

Also, might be interested in testing some controller myself, until now I have just been playing with keyboard. I seriously doubt that would do me any good since I suck at almost any controller anyway  :)
Quote from Lance Uppercut:
But seriously, are those adapters available anywhere. Would not be too much of a trouble to just buy one and use the controller you like.

Here:
http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.php?products_id=150

Costs almost $50 with shipping, which isn't too much, but still a considerable sum for some people. In other words: not worth it unless you really like SNES controller.
coral to complement blue
In other words, you have to be insane to buy it. <.<
I could try a SS any% on my keyboard and NTSC-rom today. If I have the time I'll do it.

But mostly I'd like to thank Saturn. No, really, watching that run of yours inspired me to continue with my any% sub 40 PAL-version attempt, and I finally got it. 8 min at the Norfair save room after Kraid and High-Jump. extra_smug  I feel more confident about this right now, since the first segment is always the most annoying one.

I'm not gonna buy that thing. It costs too much.  laugh new

EDIT:
I tried and failed. Damn this keyboard makes it a whole lot harder. Got killed by Draygon, can you believe it? He's like one of the easiest bosses in the game. Oh well...
Quote from Tonski:
-More speedtricks (gravity shine, pillar room shine)
-Faster boss fights. No offence or anything but those were really slow in my opinion.

Yeah, especially the LN pillar one would save much time, as I would be able to keep 2 important Power Bombs for later, and those save more time on refilling as well.
But this tricks are really a pain to perform. Not because you can't shortcharge, but because it's very hard to find the correct speed timing for the next room to open the door fast enough to still run through it without crashing. I know smockey explained this one pretty well, but it still is a very risky task for me yet. So I prefer to be on the safer side and not even try to save time compared if I would and failed.

And yes, especially Draygon and Phantoon could be improved in that run.

Quote from 072:
In other words, you have to be insane to buy it. <.<

I bought it, but when it costed only 19 dollars instead of 40 around 2-3 years ago. :)
Was definitely worth the money for a SNES-fan like me. I highly recommend it to everybody who is used to his original SNES Pad and if it would clearly improve his gaming skill on emulators (was in my case) because of that compared to keyboard.

And Lance, although I don't see myself coming near 40 anytime soon with the current skill, good luck to you and everybody else who is trying to break sub 40! :)
Tonski, maybe now you can understand a little better why my gameplay sucks so hard, I play with a keyboard  :P

Although I am not a big fan of controllers, I still believe that simple things such as morphing and wall jumping might be a bit easier to do with a controller than a keyboard. It just doesnt feel too good with keyboard  :)

Also, your gameplay show in many spots that you are used to PAL. That was quite interesting actually. Thank you for this sample, I got a couple of ideas on how to improve my own performance now.

Yeah those pillar and gravity shinesparks really seem quite risky for me too to perform in a SS run. Just needs some practise. They are the key between 40+ and sub-40 runs for me.

Quote from Saturn:
And Lance, although I don't see myself coming near 40 anytime soon with the current skill, good luck to you and everybody else who is trying to break sub 40! :)

Thanks man! It is nice to get some encouragement for a change.
As for yourself, never say never  :)  You have an insane amount of knowledge about this game. When you can put it more into use, you will be tha machine!!  grin new
Well good luck to you both on your sub 40 SS any% NTSC-version tries, I'm sure you'll get it. :P

Still, as you could see, I managed to do the Gravity shine on keyboard even if it was the first time I tried to speedrun Super Metroid on keyboard without slowdown and savestates. I think I did pretty f**king well with Botwoon considering I was playing with keyboard and SS run. I haven't killed that thing in 3 rounds sometimes even on console in SS run. I shouldn't have tried Blue Suit though, that was one reason why I died on Draygon. Maybe I'll try this again some day if I'll have the patience.

IF I'd have that thing that Saturn talked about I'm dead sure I could get at least 38 min SS any%. I just know it. Maybe less if lucky. Even if proved wrong, I think the clock goes kinda different between NTCS and PAL. In my current sub 40 segmented any% on PAL-version it took numerous times to get 44 sec in Ceres, yet I managed 42 sec on NTSC on keyboard first try. I'm not that sure. :)

Lance, what parts showed up I'm used to PAL-version? :P And about those shinesparks and speedtricks, I think the same like Hotarubi. They're really really easy on console. 8-) Like that kagoball room speed mockball when leaving LN: very easy in my opinion. All the other known tricks are kinda the same, except pre-Draygon shinespark causes me troubles sometimes. I still understand about your gameplay, playing on keyboard is hard, very hard.

I'm going to post a succesful SS any% run here on keyboard this week probably. :P We'll just have to see if I can do it.
Well, the most obvious thing that I saw was the downhill slope leading to the first energy tank. You could have just kept on running and shoot the enemies on the way, now you tried jumping which seems to be the best thing to do for PAL, but not so good for NTSC. If I am not completely wrong, those enemies spawn a little differently in these different versions? Other points do not cross my mind just now and I dont believe I have the time or patience to watch that again just now  :)

Do you use that same strategy on Phantoon when you play on a console (waiting with charged shot)? I know its keyboard and all, also no offence, but that was quite slow. Well, Kraid as well (even considered it was without quick kill). It was quite entertaining to watch you struggle against Draygon, even though it ended up with K.O for D  :P
Botwoon was great, maybe I should try killing him with supers instead of charged shots too, but my Draygon fight needs those missiles and I dont want to spend time refilling... Also it shows that you have killed that worm plenty of times, your timing for the beam shield was just awesome.
Actually it wasn't, all 4 shots didn't hit if I am right. Only 3 did am I correct? But it was decent, on PAL the timing is a lot different, I've learned to do it on both. You were right about that first etank slope, on PAL the enemy isn't there. :P

I'm in Phantoon segment in my any% segmented PAL run, and I'm using Red Scarlet's 3 round way of killing him. It's faster, and I know this SS try seemed slow, but it's because of the keyboard. And all the bossfights except Botwoon sucked, I know. I'll make it better this week. :)
coral to complement blue
For your segmented run, you should practice 2-rounding some more. Combined with his quickest patterns, you can get at least a minute's advantage on Scarlet's variation.
Is it you Cpadolf? I can see your name only as 072. Cpadolf != 072 ? I don't know that's why I'm asking.

As much as really the idea of 2 rounding him with pb shield interests me, I can't do it no way. It's so manipulatic trying to hit all 4 shots into his eye while he's moving around the room! Besides, doing it in the end of a great segment that would guarantee me 15 min at the WS save... It asks so much skills. I could probably do it with hella lot of practice, but it's so hard. I don't know if I'm player good enough to do it.

Just for testing, I need pointers to try this. I already know the hit must be done while he's circeling around the room.
Why would Cpadolf use two different names here.... Mr. 072 has joined your discussion before as well, so I think it is rather obvious that he is a different person.

As for the beam shield thing: That sounds incredibly hard. Also if fighting Phantoon is at the end of your segment, trying that in your attempts might bring along some moments of frustration :)
Still would be cool though. Anyone care to make a sample of what it looks like?
Haha I owned you both first try on NTSC-version SS any% on keyboard! Hahaha I'm so damn good I amaze myself sometimes.

There you go ladies and gentlemen, 39 min any% SS run on keyboar first try. Man this is so easy. I cud beat Hotarubi on USA-version on SNES!

Of course I was joking. 53 minutes, the time sucks so badly I amaze myself with that.  laugh new Kinda embarrassing.

EDIT:
Oh, the link. :P
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/5386/Tonski%20-%20Any%25%20SS%20try.smv
Wow, I believed that first thing there for a microsecond. You could have said something like 35 min to make the shock even bigger.  laugh new

Anyway, thanks for this one, gonna watch it now.
Yeah there's not much worth watching though... I was really amazed I did that bad, but in the other hand it shouldn't have been such a shock as I knew all the time this run is sucking all the time. Only succesful thing is probably Kraid quick kill.
Finished watching it just now. You did manage to do some speed tricks pretty decently and some nice damage boosts too. I quess the bigger mistakes more than make up for some successful tricks  :|

I think the biggest time-wasters are refilling (with stations and spawning and non-spawning enemies) and trying some certain speed trick too many times. That gravity shine must be faster to just jump through if you fail the first time (in general of course, does not only apply to this run). Same goes to pillar shine and kago room speed mockball and maybe some others too. I dont even have a chance of doing those with my current level, so I just try to optimize the "normal" way. One day I will use those tricks with success as well. As soon as I have time to practise the short-charge properly. (As you showed, it is not that difficult even with a keyboard)

That Draygon fight was quite a nightmare once again  :)
Maybe that blue suit is not worth for more than one of couple of rounds extra. Again, I cant get the blue suit there but I can normally 4-round him quite easily, sometimes even 3-round. But I need super missiles and Botwoon would be dead sooner with those.... this one sure is a search for balance.

Murder beaming Ridley looked very cool, but is it any faster than blasting him away with normal plasma-ice-wave and super missiles? At least it did not look blazingly fast, even though it was allright.

That zebetite glitch can be a nightmare sometimes. Failing that a couple of times wastes a LOT of your time. Is it better to leave the room and try again? That bottom rinka shows up pretty often even after the first one. I always stay in the room and force my way through, but I am not sure if it is the best choice... At least I think it would be better but as I said, not sure about that.

I noticed some flaws in my usual gameplay, thanks to this run. I stop to kill enemies way too much, especially at the beginning of Norfair. Also some other minor things to be shaped up.
coral to complement blue
2 rounding Phantoon isn't incredibily difficult, really. He does the same pattern every time, so it isn't really luck based. After the first shot, he'll fly to the right of the room, then to the left. You need to shoot him the second time while he's heading toward the left, so start charging immediately after your first shot goes off. He then proceeds to fly over to the right, through the wall, and then a few seconds later, he comes back and flys through the wall on the left. You need to pause right after your second shot, when he loses his momentum from going to the left and is about to fly to the right and through the wall. Unequip spazer, hold in shoot, and unpause. When you have control again, run over to the far right, pause for a half a second and jump 3/4 of the way up the room, and the combo should go off during your descent, right when Phantoon comes back around.

Ah, what the hell, have some pics!  :P

Lance, the short-charge is easy as hell, no matter if it's done on console or keyboard, just some tricks make it a lot harder as you have to do a incredibly flat mockball after that short-charge in kagoball room. I could (and can) do that short-charge blindfolded, I've practiced it so good. :P This run wasn't actually aiming for incredible speed, it was just a battle of survival. I suck at keyboard I state it again.

Normally at Ridley I do this:
Murder Beam, shoot all super missiles before Murder Beam starts killing Ridley, shoot charger ice/plasma/waves. Usually it's done really fast if enough supers is carried.

I usually do 3-4 rounds Draygon with Blue Suit, I've found a very good strategy against that monster that works at least on PAL. Every round is working well, and if enough supers, 3 round Blue Suit isn't all that impossible. :)

My 46 any% SS on console was one hella trick show... Here's all the tricks I think I did in that run:

-Pillar room short charge space jump Hotarubi style
-Gravity shine
-Shine to WS (same way as in this 53 min)
-Draygon 4 round Blue Suit
-Ridley strategy that I explained
-Botwoon probably 3 rounds, not quite sure
-Zebetite glitch first try
-Kagoball room short charge mockball
-Modified version of pre-Draygon shinespark

Can't think of anything I might've forgotten. :) Still that was one of the most succesful runs ever concidering those spee tricks.

072:
That explained everything! Still 1 question bothers me: Have you thought that on PAL it takes longer for that pb shield to hit? I mean it doesn't trigger as fast as on NTSC from what I've noticed. It might be a bit different on PAL-version.
coral to complement blue
If it does take longer, just stand in a different position instead of the far right.
Quote from Tonski:
Can't think of anything I might've forgotten.

One more came into my mind: How about Norfair/Ice beam gate hater? That one is quite difficult too.

What is the modified pre-Draygon shinespark? Sounds interesting :)
Almost happy
Lance: Im quite sure that he did the gate hater trick, from what i have heard he has no problem doing it, me myself just learned it and after i learned to do it it only took 20 min to master it almost 100% of the time, it really is'nt a hard trick, if one can do flat mockball he most certanly will have no problem doing gate hater trick.
Lance:
As CPadolf said, I indeed did get the Norfair gate hater, just forgot to list it there. :P

That modified version is walljumping all the way to the door and do the spark from there, not going to the next room and jumping going all the way. This only get you half of the room done, but it's easier. I'm not quite sure that original way is even possible on PAL-version, NTSC no problema because that door opens faster and the shine stays on you longer. That gravity jump trick, not too sure about it I guess it could make it a bit easier with mastering it, but personally I don't like it. :)

072: I have to try that one. It might take a very long time to master and do consistanly, but sure is possible.

In other news, I just played a very bad segment yesterday without the gate hater and slow speed, I think I even got stuck in one of those sucking flowers there and I was sure to get 17 min at the WS save. I was personally greatly amazed that I got 16 as it's still leading my 43 min time by a minute, but I'm aiming for 15. You wonder why I'm telling this right? :P

Because I got Phantoon 2 rounded first try and that's what got me 16 min there. aiwebs_016 I didn't use 072's strategy, I just got luckily succesful pb shield hit on Phantoon and it was over very soon. I was really amazed I could do it first try in my life, although 75% minimum from that was luck. I think I'll practice some more and try to fit that 2 rounding into my run. Actually I realised that you don't have to hit directly his eye while he's mocing around right? His whole "body" is vulnerable at that point if I'm correct. Anyway I was really happy about it, maybe I can indeed get sub 40 min if I work with this run long enough. ;)

EDIT:
Did on hour of testings on PAL-version 2 rounding consistanly. Couldn't do it once, as a matter of fact, if you start to load that pb shield at the same time that 072's pictures showed, you have to be on the far left side of the room to hit him. I think you may have to even start charging earlier. I'm on the edge of doing another save at Red Brinstar...
I like Big Butts and I can not lie
Quote from Tonski:
I'm not quite sure that original way is even possible on PAL-version, NTSC no problema because that door opens faster and the shine stays on you longer.

But in PAL, Samus moves a lot faster (or the same with the frame rate difference) and doors open with the same length (or slower with the frame rate difference). The shine does not last longer on NTSC (or a bit longer on PAL due to frame rate difference).
Yeah thanks for that P.JMan. :P I don't know about this game as much as you do.

Anyway, I had to do some testings reeeeally long, but I think I finally found out how to 2 round Phantoon on PAL. :)

When Phantoon goes right, you start do load that pb shield when Phantoon is exactly in the middle of the room and go to the far left of the room. Then jump and make the pb shield trigger at the top of the far left upper corner of the room (or just a little lower) and I think it will hit Phantoon. The first 2 shots, I don't know if they matter where you shoot them, but this is the only way I could 2 round him in my long tedious testings. I gotta do some more to really claim it reliable. Maybe if I can learn to do it consistanly I don't have to do another save at Red Brinstar. :)

P.JMan, isn't it still true that it takes longer for that pb shield to activate in PAL-version?
I like Big Butts and I can not lie
Quote from Tonski:
P.JMan, isn't it still true that it takes longer for that pb shield to activate in PAL-version?

No, have you got snes9x? Because you can set the speed up to 120% turning the PAL frame rate into the NTSC frame rate, then you can test loads of stuff Wink