<- 123 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from Blublu:
Well, if "tool-assisted" is so bad, what would be better without being misleading? "Emulator rape" sounds bad to me, even if it would certainly be appropriate. I wouldn't want to call them "cheated" runs either, because that would imply using a GameGenie or something similar. Just calling it an "emulator run" is no good because it's possible to do a run on an emulator without using slowdows/rerecords. (even though no one really does that)

Cheated runs sound fine to me. It's honest and to the point, there's no confusion about what the video is. Cheat can imply slowdown, save states, GG codes, or any sort of unfair advantage. Glitches do not fall under this category, because they are not cheats. They are programmer oversights.

Quote from Blublu:
I also feel a little bad about the fact that the term "time attack" is being hijacked, but I can't think of anything better myself.

Superplay. The word has been used to describe just about every kind of video, but unlike the new definition for "time attacks," there's nothing vague about a "speed run" or a "high score." It's perfectly obvious what they are, and we don't need another term, superplay, to describe them. I say we keep speed runs, high scores, and playarounds right where they are, and reinstate time attack's original meaning and use the term superplay instead.

Quote from Blublu:
I sense another flame war coming up. Hopefully it'll be contained withing this thread.

I doubt we'll have a flame war on our hands.

1. Trying to win an argument against me is like an anthill revolting against a lawnmower.
2. We are all mature enough people here to not let this topic get out of control. This is a friendly debate.
Cook of the Sea
Quote from Lucid Faia:
1. Trying to win an argument against me is like an anthill revolting against a lawnmower.
2. We are all mature enough people here to not let this topic get out of control. This is a friendly debate.

Yeah, besides, flame wars pretty much do not happen on this site...
Time bomb set get out fast!
Good point.  Let's start one.  Against... hmm... Arkarian.
One shall stand, one shall ball.
Nah, that'd never work, he'd post 11 times to our 1 have you seen his posting average?
'superplay' sounds so ... normal, though. like, non-altered gameplay, just that the player is somehow a "superplayer" (e.g. kip). i'm leaning toward natural and altered atm.
Cook of the Sea
Quote from njahnke:
'superplay' sounds so ... normal, though. like, non-altered gameplay, just that the player is somehow a "superplayer" (e.g. kip). i'm leaning toward natural and altered atm.

Here's a brainstorm:  "Quark".  I wikipedia'd the word "rom" and it mentioned Rom of Star Trek, brother of Quark.  Ferengi.  Quark, like most Ferengi, was a cheater, a lyer and, most importantly, was concerned primarliy with getting the very most output from the very least input.  The Most for the Least.  It might be the fact that it's bloody 4:00 in the morning, but I think that word captures the essence of the thing.  A "Quark" to mean a usage of an unfair emulator device, and "Quarked" as an adjective to describe an end result that has been gotten through the utilization of Quarks.  Giving us the final term of "a Quarked Run". 

Thoughts?
Time bomb set get out fast!
That's so perfect it brings a tear to my eye.
Quote:
Cheated runs sound fine to me. It's honest and to the point, there's no confusion about what the video is.

Actually, there's lots of confusion. Does the run use in-game button combo codes? Those are cheats. Does it use a GameGenie? That would be cheating. Tool-assisted sounds fine to me. It's short, and to the point. The point being that no cheats are being used in the movie itself. The method that was used to create the movie file, however, could be considered cheating, but the point was not to make a legit video, so who cares?
Quote:

Since you obviously feel you are superior, I guess there's no point in arguing. Good-bye, thread.
Quark. Sounds like something small and seemingly insignificant. Fits like a glove, imo.

Quote from njahnke:
SuperPLAY is a multi-format review/article magazine in Sweden, so it sure as hell wouldn't work here. They can barely beat some games (MM:Zero 2).
Put my vote down for "quark" as well. Thanks a lot, Saber; now I have to go blow a wad of cash on some DS9 DVDs. :x
As the resident rapist, I much prefer the "time attacks" or "tool-assisted speed runs" to be known as emulator rapes. Or maybe, just maybe, technical demonstrations, as popularized by Sess, though that's not really a rape.

In other news:
Quote from Lucid Faia:

You must be a lawnmower without an engine or something.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Seriously, wtf was up with that? You just shoved your foot so far up your mouth it's coming out the back of your head, Lucid. That's the most arrogant comment I've ever seen (that I can remember, anyway).
i think he was kidding, guys. sometimes, people say things on the internet that they know aren't true, and in real life this would be called sarcasm. unfortunately, as we know, translation on the internet is, well, babel fish. ;-[
Quote from Ekarderif:
As the resident rapist, I much prefer the "time attacks" or "tool-assisted speed runs" to be known as emulator rapes. Or maybe, just maybe, technical demonstrations, as popularized by Sess, though that's not really a rape.

Someone else mentioned reclaiming words that are being used inappropriately.  Personally I hate seeing the word "rape" being used in this casual manner for comparatively trivial things, largely by a group of people who has no personal fear of undergoing the real thing. </humorless-old-female>

The altered and natural terminology seems fine to me.  (Can't comment on "quark" because Quark will always be the white dragon in Lunar to me.)  What about a natural glitchless run?  Seems like there'd be value in seeing who could play the fastest within the constraints of the programmers' original intent.  Though I suppose the speedrunning community has long since moved past that into bending the game in ways it was never meant to bend. ;)
Arrogance is a longtime joke between some friends of mine and I. That's just one of many one-liners we throw around at other people and at each other.

"I have a self-esteem problem... too much of it."
"I'm an arrogant asshole, and I know it. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong."
"I'm not rude, and I'm not arrogant. I'm bluntly honest, and I'm self-confident."

Those statements contradict each other, so obviously I am kidding. Don't pay too much mind to it if I say something like that. Sometimes I say it simply out of habit. Sorry for the "lost in translation." >_>

Anyways, "Quark" gets my vote. That's the best suggestion yet. Oh, and "tool-assisted" is anything but short and to the point, Blublu.
lol no way
Quote from ShadowJedi:
Quark. Sounds like something small and seemingly insignificant. Fits like a glove, imo.

That's prolly cause a quark is like what protons or neutrons or whatever are made of. Maybe both.
Quarks make up all three of the big subatomic particles.
soaking through
Three big subatomic particles?
Neutrons, protons, and electrons.  And by big, I mean relatively big.
lol no way
Well I'm a little kid, so the amount of understanding I had was pretty good.

I love using that excuse. Just awesome.
Quote from Random Zelda Person:
Neutrons, protons, and electrons.  And by big, I mean relatively big.

Quarks don't make up electrons. The most basic matter (subatomic particles) consist of quarks, leptons, and neutrinos. Electrons are a type of leptons. Quarks only make up neutrons and protons.
Hmm... my Physical Science teacher lied to me, in that case...
Buh, finally found a decent picture:
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
First one to make an obvious joke about "Force Carriers" gets a negative gold star. And it's not made of anti-matter, either. It just sticks around and eats up one of your gold stars.
Mass Force Carriers = instant win!