page  1234567891011 -> 1 ... 11 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Ugh! I've only ever gotten this once, and that was practically by accident after some 25 tries my first game doing it. Silly me, I didn't make doubles of that save then, so here I am again, trying my ass off to get it, and just never succeeding. I would REALLY like a video of someone's hands performing this maneuver. I try evertyhing... tapping the buttons in different order, releasing them in different order, quick locks, long locks, different spots towards the back of the ship... argh, why can't I do this again! The videos make it look so easy, and yet I can't for the life of me figure out how I somehow got this before.
Thread title: 
Oh, it's that guy
*raises hand*

duuuuuude!

*gets shot*

:P
... oh my God.

1 1/2 hours, at least a hundred tries, and posts in 3 forums later (oh and watching 3 different videos), I got this @#$%er. Boo ya.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I FELL IN A GAP ON THE WAY THERE, SOMEONE SHOOT ME!
Armor Guardian
Quote from Chzn8r:
I FELL IN A GAP ON THE WAY THERE, SOMEONE SHOOT ME!

Sure. *Shoots Chzn8r*
You coward. You would shoot a man with no varia suit and no energy tanks. Laughing

EDIT: OK, I got it, this time WITHOUT messing up the easy jumps afterwards. I think my problem was not enough focus on placement... hmmm.
It's difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. :)

I think you may be releasing L too soon. You don't release it until after the dash has started and you've already released B. Practise dash-jumping on some normal enemy before attempting SpaceJump First (TM). Don't worry too much about releasing the control stick.

If you're not at least 95% proficient in dash-jumping, it'll be frustrating and difficult.

edit: oh, nevermind, you already got it...
GAH! im attempting it right now, and have been for the most of 3 days! i always fall short when dashing!

what am i doing wrong?????????????
It definitely takes some work.  I still can't get it consistently (thus destroying any sequence-breaking career I might have).  But it's a heckuva lot nicer than the OLD Early Space Jump methoc...
There was another method to getting space jump first... without the dash-jump?!? Question
Like this: http://www.metroid2002.com/ekarderif/early_sj.avi

Of course, it's on M2k2 somewhere, but I like to link to my video better :P.
yeah, a Double Bomb Jump Ladder Morph off the back of the gunship to the ledge behind.

oh, beaten to it

BTW, does it have to be laddered?
Quote from Ekarderif:
Like this: http://www.metroid2002.com/ekarderif/early_sj.avi

Of course, it's on M2k2 somewhere, but I like to link to my video better :P.

why? because you look up randomly? :P
OMGOMGOMG!

I GOT ITI GOT ITI GOT ITI GOT ITI GOT ITI GOT ITI GOT ITI GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, finally!

the problem was that i was tapping B too hard to dash (the lighter the tap, the more horizontal distance. the harder the tap, the more height.
May I remind you that the 'B' button is digital. It's like saying, "I press the power button harder to make my computer faster!" Rolling Eyes
It's not pressure-sensitive, but it can tell if it's being held in longer or shorter.
Quote from Ekarderif:
May I remind you that the 'B' button is digital. It's like saying, "I press the power button harder to make my computer faster!" Rolling Eyes

LOL, that's good for a laugh.

If you position yourself in the corner of the skip, then dash and release L right after, you should make it every time. Just don't turn to face the ledge you're dashing to. Turning 90 degrees will kill any dash you do.
Unless, of course, you need to bend the dash an extreme amount (like the Metroid Quarantine A one). There are times that you need a lot of distance and there are times you need a lot of precision.
red chamber dream
*doesn't raise hand* Like anything, it just takes a lot of practice, though probably a little more than most tricks in the game.
hm, it worked for me...

lol

so i basically know how to dash jump now! yay!
It seems I can only make dash jumps when I don't have to.
Unless of course I get lucky.
I have been able to achieve it 3 times, but my playthroughs are so far apart that I forget the precise spot on the ship that I have to stand on.  I try about 30 times before getting it.  Usually I quit after I fail 5 times so my time doesn't balloon.  I should practice sometime by just constantly getting it right.  I have NO idea how speed runners can combine it successfully with their first segment.  It is insane!
Hey, Im new here. Early space jump used to be BLODDY annoying, but i did it over and over again so now 2 in 3 goes i can get up. Thats helpful coz i am doing a single segment run on PAL, that way i must pull it off first attempt, so as other crazy tricks. Just focus on moving the control stick really quickly to the right, tapping b first, and letting go of L really fast(just as the dash sound starts). Good luck to anyone having trouble doing this tricky manouver as it caused me lots of trouble.
I'm feelin pretty good. I've made a few key successful dash jumps (over the lava instead of bomb jumping out of it in Magmoor, and also the early missle in Frost Cave). Right now I've got all key items except xray and grapple (and of course phazon suit), at 1:44. Though I have a shatload of items/artifacts to collect, I'll make sure to not have to take multiple trips through any areas.
*raises hand* *raises other hand* *Starts flailing them madly* *does this every day for a month*
Oh yes, SPF. Gunship, I don't even carea bout time with it. I just take 15 minutes to get it. I suck at dash jump. It still is cool when you get it and go: YES! I GOT IT!!!! W00T! :D