1 page
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I('d) like to watch (some MP3 runs)
Nintendo does it too; just think how the last month was for the MP2 guys.

Nintendo hasn't been innovative in years, either.
Thread title: 
Quote from Red Scarlet:
Nintendo hasn't been innovative in years, either.

Dual-Screen what?

Wind Waker what?

Bongo Controllers what?

Can we say voice commands on a MARIO PARTY game?

Can we say two racers mixed and matched with karts?

Can we say charging star power by impressing an AUDIENCE WATCHING YOU PLAY?

Can we say a MONUMENTALLY FUN game that ONLY uses the A button?

Off the top of my head.  Just for cube.  I can bring GBA into this though if you want.  Talking hats w00t.  And don't give me "capcom made minish cap" either.  Capcom doesn't make talking hats.  That idea came from someone in Nintendo and don't even try saying otherwise.

They take crap for taking chances.  They take crap for powerpuff Link and from people who think a game that uses one button can't be fun or intricate, or challenging, (and it is all of the above).  But they keep trying, and these are not the actions of workers who are only trying to get the job done.  These are people who have their hearts in their work, and that doesn't come from being treated like faceless corporate lemmings.  No ma'am.

And one more thing.

Quote from Red Scarlet:
Nintendo does it too; just think how the last month was for the MP2 guys.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Having a crunch time before a game's release is one thing, that's understandable.

The month before a game's release is not the issue.  If the original blog entry that started this had just complained about tough hours just prior to release, people would have understood.  There was a lot more in there than that though.

Now let's have no more of this "Nintendo isn't God" nonsense, because it clearly is.
I('d) like to watch (some MP3 runs)
Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Dual-Screen what?

There have been many multi-screen games and such before.  And the way the screen so far appears to have been decided on implementation, it's horrible.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Wind Waker what?

Jet Set Radio what?

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Bongo Controllers what?

Samba de Amigo what?

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Can we say voice commands on a MARIO PARTY game?

Can we say Seaman?

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Can we say two racers mixed and matched with karts?

Can we say that arcade game where 2 people controlled a vehicle?

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Can we say charging star power by impressing an AUDIENCE WATCHING YOU PLAY?

Not sure what you're talking about there.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Can we say a MONUMENTALLY FUN game that ONLY uses the A button?

Pong was fun to people and that had no buttons, I think.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Off the top of my head.  Just for cube.  I can bring GBA into this though if you want.  Talking hats w00t.  And don't give me "capcom made minish cap" either.  Capcom doesn't make talking hats.  That idea came from someone in Nintendo and don't even try saying otherwise.

Oh, Capcom made this too? So it'll be bland like the Oracle games.
Talking inanimate objects is nothing new.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
They take crap for taking chances.  They take crap for powerpuff Link and from people who think a game that uses one button can't be fun or intricate, or challenging, (and it is all of the above).  But they keep trying, and these are not the actions of workers who are only trying to get the job done.  These are people who have their hearts in their work, and that doesn't come from being treated like faceless corporate lemmings.  No ma'am.

They take crap because they have so much money they really don't care about crap people say.  So they do what they want, which is a good thing.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Now let's have no more of this "Nintendo isn't God" nonsense, because it clearly is.

No, Nintendo was awesome when I was a little kid, then they fell off the boat during the N64 era, and I saw that they did fall off the boat.  Please stop talking fanboy talk when you yourself have said all you buy are Nintendo games/systems.  No shit you think they're God.  I however, opened my eyes and saw they have lost their touch, and will probably never regain it.

Their old stuff is still fun (mostly 3rd party games, with a couple of exceptions).

The Mario series died with Mario64 (or SMW), Zelda died after part 3 or 4, and Metroid would have died in 2002 if not for SB'ing. No other series are really popping into my head at the moment.
What exactly has Sony offered? PSP is nothing more than a PS portable (yes I know the redundancy). Just because you don't see innovation doesn't mean they aren't trying. And don't give me that Sony is trying because they're not. As far as the current three competitors, they're way behind in that market. The only reason they're surviving so well is because of third party backup. Even Microsoft is jamming their system with tons of stuff (as usual they don't work properly but at least they try). Plus, every innovated step has pretty much been taken. It's just how you implement it that works (or not). You can always bring up and example of where it was used previously. 10 years down the road, we'll have an awesome hologram first person game and you'll probably point and some cheesy Visa logo on a credit card nowadays.

As for me, I'm hardly a fanboy. I hated the N64 with a passion (with the exception of GoldenEye it offered nothing). So don't wave your finger accusingly. Granted I hardly call the GameCube a good system, but Metroid Prime almost sold it to me right there (thank my brother for actually getting it ;)). And I like it a lot more than either PS2 or X-Box, not because I like Nintendo but rather because there are better games on it (Metroid Prime + F-Zero GX > nothing). (It appears I use as much parentheses as Sess).
How dare you.  You directly attacked statements I made and now you're going into "I will say whatever necessary to win the argument and to hell with the truth" mode.

You're going to sit there and tell me the Dual Screen isn't innovative?    That Kirby's F****ing Air-Ride isn't innovative?

You are actually going to sit there and compare Air-Ride to Pong Simply because it sounds like a good way to win the point?

Make a generalization about Minish Cap, for what seems to be no other purpose than to upset me?

Yes I'm a fanboy, I admit it.  That doesn't change the validity of my points.

Let's review this.  I stated I thought Nintendo didn't engage in the practices we were talking about.  I gave my reasons why, the content they produce.  You attacked me with "Nintendo does it too" based on, based on what?  And your reason was, as far as I can tell, the fact that  every company does it.  When you weren't even aware of what "it" was.  We weren't talking about crunch time immediately before a release.

I stated my thoughts as an opinion and you correct me by stating yours in the form of a fact, like you know better than me.  I am extremely insulted by that.

Then you attacked my statement that Nintendo is innovative.  I defended myself, and now all you care about is making me wrong and yourself right.  It's not enough to attack a person, and to do it from a FALSE position of knowing MORE about the subject.  But when I defend myself you act like this.  And you judge me for being  a Nintendo fanboy.  You're the one that hasn't opened your eyes if you think I can't speak on the subject just because I idolize one system.  You're just like the millions of other people who'd bash me for it without even thinking.

Well Nintendo is innovative and it does take chances, and every one of those things I mentioned was a CHANCE, and a gutsy move by Nintendo, and plenty of people are aware of it.  Your attempts to take my points apart to make yourself look right and me wrong failed, because that's not going to change.

I think you are a horrible human being.  Fine, to hell with this forum.  I didn't care to take this crap from Banks and I'm sure as hell not about to take it from you.
*archives Sess's reply*

I like the ass-kicking mode.

EDIT:  Don't go Sess.  The forum is less interesting with you around.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
I feel like I should do something... and yet, I don't know what to do. Plus, they're both mods, which doesn't make my life any eaiser.
What may be innovation to some can quite easily be considered random "i wanna sell more copies!" gimmicks to another.

Dual Screens is a decent.  Adding touch screens to that simply makes it into "we're not loading all this stuff onto it because we think it'll make better games, we're doing it so we can sell!"

That's all IMO, not fact - nintendo may have thought touch-screen would add something new to their games, instead of just being gimmicky, but that's certainly how it apperaed to me... and that's one example.  I couldn't care to insert my comments to the rest of Sess's examples.

Scarlet was responding to your opinions (not facts - just because you consider it to be innovation does not automatically make it fact) with opinions of her own.

But I do have something else to say though...

Bold is a (somewhat)-central point in Sess's last tirade.  Italics is what I took as something Sess said in this very topic that contradicted his point...

-----

I stated my thoughts as an opinion and you correct me by stating yours in the form of a fact, like you know better than me.
Dual-Screen what?

Wind Waker what?

Bongo Controllers what?

Well Nintendo is innovative

You, sir, are attempting to state an opinion (and it is *definately* an opinion) as fact here.

-----

You attacked me with "Nintendo does it too"
Um... how is that an attack on you?  I fail to see your point.  You *both* were trying to pass off as fact a statement neither of you have any real data on.  Responding to points on a random message board does not constitute a personal attack.

This, however, is an attack.

I think you are a horrible human being.
And it was you who started it.  Scarlet was responding to your points, and only your points, no matter how matter-of-factly she stated it.  Nothing personal was said until your last post.

-----

I don't know if anyone else sees this as I see it, but... Sess, grow up.  You're overreacting.  Don't attempt to victimize scarlet by accusing her of doing things you yourself are doing.  Don't throw any more hissy fits like this.  Please. :/

And yes, mods, I'll stop here.
Though it may not be clear to you, it was quite obvious to me that RS was attacking Sess. Not the flaming type but more of the subtle type that I find even more offensive and disgusting. And how's calling him a fan-boy not attacking? It resolved nothing and brought up a bigger issue. He may or may not be overreacting but I see it completely justified and natural. In fact, my post prior to Sess's was my attempt at countering her points because I could see where it was leading. Apparently it did not satiate his rage :(.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Man... I dunno whether I'll cause more lingering hatred if I lock this or if I leave it alone... *sigh*
Innovation, courtesy Dictionary.com

in·no·va·tion
n.

1. The act of introducing something new.
  2. Something newly introduced.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there has never been a system like the DS.  There have never been Bongo controllers.  Wind Waker made an innovative engine, battle system, graphics, everything.  The only thing in Wind Waker that we saw before was the gameplay style, and that's courtesy Ocarina/Majora's Mask, which Nintendo innovated.

Star Wars was innovative.  Certainly, many people could say that it ripped off other storylines, that the effects have been done before in some form or another, but it was innovative.  It revolutionized the way movies were made.  That is what Nintendo continues to do with video games.
red chamber dream
I may not know much, but I think you should both just respect what the other person thinks. Sess has the right to idolize Nintendo, and Red doesn't have to love Nintendo. You both love video games right? At least respect that.
Bah, didn't see the "fanboy"...

And half of my argument just got invalidated.

Yeah, I apologize for *that*, but it still seems obvious that Sess overreacted, at least to me.
In my views, Microsoft is taking the cake here boys.

I'm going to be a fanboy and say "Xbox > j00"
I'm too lazy to type why, but I'm sure someone else can.

And Nintendo is very good in terms of GBA. It's my second favourite system behind my XBox w/Live.
Quote from Sesshoumaru:
How dare you.  You directly attacked statements I made and now you're going into "I will say whatever necessary to win the argument and to hell with the truth" mode.

I ordinarily don't like to get involved in other people's disputes, but this one struck a nerve with me, primarily because it reminded me of (a) a ferocious squabble between you and Banks a while back and (b) an almost-as-nasty squabble between you and me. I've always disagreed with your conclusions in that argument, primarily over me being too controlling and how I was, in your eyes, a bigot for not liking Metroid Fusion.

At the same time, it's quite funny. Moving on.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Yes I'm a fanboy, I admit it.  That doesn't change the validity of my points.

In a way, it does, because your points are completely one-sided. They always have been, and I feel they pretty much always will be. Unless Nintendo "innovates" by putting out another 8-bit console, that is...
Your assertion that Scarlet attacked you personally is also pretty far off, because an attack on Nintendo is hardly an attack on the fanboy. Hey, you said it yourself. Fair game, hm?

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
I stated my thoughts as an opinion and you correct me by stating yours in the form of a fact, like you know better than me.  I am extremely insulted by that.

Again, your unwillingness to accept that Nintendo just might have failings just like everyone else is blinding you. Last time I checked, this forum ran on rules that I wrote a long time back, and I never made any rule about suppressing people's opinions if they disagreed with you.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Then you attacked my statement that Nintendo is innovative.  I defended myself, and now all you care about is making me wrong and yourself right.  It's not enough to attack a person, and to do it from a FALSE position of knowing MORE about the subject. But when I defend myself you act like this.  And you judge me for being  a Nintendo fanboy.  You're the one that hasn't opened your eyes if you think I can't speak on the subject just because I idolize one system.  You're just like the millions of other people who'd bash me for it without even thinking.

All this rage and hostility stemmed from Scarlet's opinion that Nintendo isn't innovative? Sess, what happened to being objective? You're the most subjective person I've met in recent history, sheesh.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
Your attempts to take my points apart to make yourself look right and me wrong failed, because that's not going to change.

Don't be so proud of your performance in this argument, Sess. You have your opinion, Scarlet has hers. Now grow up and deal with it, bud.

Quote from Sesshoumaru:
I think you are a horrible human being.  Fine, to hell with this forum.  I didn't care to take this crap from Banks and I'm sure as hell not about to take it from you.

No mention of me? Awww. Still, you're as much of a hypocrite as you say she is. Whining and bitching about how she's attacking you when you come right back and do it yourself doesn't say much, now does it? Granted, she did incite things and egg it on a bit, but as the adage goes, it takes two to tango. And you could've taken the high road and presented arguments in a reasonable manner as opposed to your "How dare you!" angle. =P

Besides, you'll be back. You said when you got pissed off at Banks that you were leaving for good. Same thing when I became an asshole for not liking Fusion. I figure it's the same old, same old routine.

-Tim
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Well, since all the parties who have a vested intrest are mods... *ca-chunk*