Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from Dragondarch:
Did this one the other night:

Normal 100%
Single Segment
0:59:35

I lost count how many tries it took me to get that  Shocked

That's awesome.

I'm currently doing 100% normal, to be recorded, but I've lost my GBA SP and MZM cart :S :\.
Quote from Stonefish:
something like 30 for the acid worm
something like 20 for the immobile wasp thingy with the winged ripper.
unknown for the free wasp. I never fight it

It's exactly 30 for Acid worm actually. Best pattern I found to get him down fast (on normal anyway) is 2 when he first pops out, then 10, 10, 8. Can also do 11, 11, 6. Just don't do 10, then 11 or vice versa or you won't be able to fire fast enough to kill him on the 3rd pop-out.

Immoble wasp is 18, 3 per...err...whatever it is holding it up there, and 3 whatevers per side.

Free Wasp is 40, or 8 supers (which is how I always do it  :P )
Quote from Stonefish:
35 for Mother Brain (+occasional rinkas)

Plus another 20 missiles to destroy the casing around MB, or 55 missiles total.
Well, My first time thru, I got like 6 hours something with 74% items on easy.

My fastest 100% run is on hard 1:55

My fastest any% time is like 53 min on normal
Exactly 30 for Acid worm?  Okay.  I usually just spam him with Super Missiles and see how it goes :)

and yes, 35+20 for Mother Brain.  and 6 per zebetite while we're at it.
Heh, yeah, 6 supers will drop him quick...which is easily done the first time he pops out. But for those of us who do Kraid before Ridley, we gets to be shootin' him with regulars. When you kill him as many times as I have you tend notice things like that  Wink
Time: 40.20
Difficulty: Normal
Percentage: 27%

Man I need to play some other games :) Another new time...
Time: 38:36
Difficulty: Normal
Percentage: 27%

Heh another new time. And this was done in the newly found Time Attack so it said "New Record" in red/yellow flashes :) Really cool.
One shall stand, one shall ball.
I think you need a new hobby.
33% 0:56:30 norm. Finally beat my old record, took me forever to beat my 0:59.
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
Quote from Stonefish:
6 per zebetite while we're at it.

It's 7. And what's Time attack mode? How do I get it? How did I not know this?
Quote from JaggerG:
Quote from Stonefish:
6 per zebetite while we're at it.

It's 7. And what's Time attack mode? How do I get it? How did I not know this?
Check the Time Attack topic above this one.
My first completed Hard game, finally:
74% 1:28:12.
Dragondarch, I received your tape today... the quality is about what I expected, lots of noise can be seen in solid colors (like walls) and the sound is very noisy.  Also, you recorded in the "full" size of the game boy player which distorts things even more... please, everyone reading this, make a note to use normal size, sharp filter, and SP mode so your run doesn't end up like this  :?

There's another problem too, but I suspect it's unrelated to any of that... when I capture it, the brightness will slowly increase, then drop off suddenly, and this repeates every ~10 seconds.  At first I thought it was the tape, so I put the output to my TV as well but it was normal.  So then I thought it was my vcr's 'video out' so I changed to a tv channel (cheers at the time, woot) and it was fine on the capture.  So then i thought maybe the tv was filtering out whatever was causing it, and then when I asked in #metroid, tzyr pointed out that it sounded just like Macrovision, the crappy copy protection that vhs/dvd movies have.  If you try to copy one of those you'll get the same brightness increase/fade thing.  But HOW is it on a tape you bought in the store and recorded on?

I'm not sure what I can do about it... help?
I have a question for all the hardcore speed runners. How on earth do you get your times to around 30 minutes? My best is 46 and thats using every trick I know and skipping as much as I can. By the time you guys have beat the game I'm only half way through Tourian.
Quote from Radix:
Dragondarch, I received your tape today... the quality is about what I expected, lots of noise can be seen in solid colors (like walls) and the sound is very noisy. Also, you recorded in the "full" size of the game boy player which distorts things even more... please, everyone reading this, make a note to use normal size, sharp filter, and SP mode so your run doesn't end up like this

Bleh... :?

Not like I'm not capable of recording another sub 1 hour run...at least I know what NOT to do when taping this time  Wink
If the quality is too poor to work around then don't worry about gettin' it up. I can make another run at it.

Quote from Radix:
There's another problem too, but I suspect it's unrelated to any of that... when I capture it, the brightness will slowly increase, then drop off suddenly, and this repeates every ~10 seconds. At first I thought it was the tape, so I put the output to my TV as well but it was normal. So then I thought it was my vcr's 'video out' so I changed to a tv channel (cheers at the time, woot) and it was fine on the capture. So then i thought maybe the tv was filtering out whatever was causing it, and then when I asked in #metroid, tzyr pointed out that it sounded just like Macrovision, the crappy copy protection that vhs/dvd movies have. If you try to copy one of those you'll get the same brightness increase/fade thing. But HOW is it on a tape you bought in the store and recorded on?

Again, bleh... :?

I couldn't even begin to tell ya what's causin' that. I bought these tapes at Wal-Mart the same day I bought my VCR like 2 years ago (5-pack) and only used 1 for the longest time to tape something every week. This was an unused tape when I first started recording these runs.

EDIT: Just remembered the tapes actually came free with the VCR, if that means anything.
Quote from skynes:
I have a question for all the hardcore speed runners. How on earth do you get your times to around 30 minutes? My best is 46 and thats using every trick I know and skipping as much as I can. By the time you guys have beat the game I'm only half way through Tourian.
It's all about going to right route :) Dunno if the one's used in the 31:31 movie is optimized though. But that's how I get below 40 anyway.
lol no way
GC04's 31:31 is, I believe, the best route. As far as item collection and order of collection goes, anyway. There's some extra places to walljump or killing bosses faster, as with any run. I believe he messed up a bit in the last seg and so lost some time, but not a big deal.
I just finished my first 100% run with 2:14:xx so now I need sub 2hour 100% hard sub 2 hour 15% hard and 100<2 hour on normal. and then fusion link.
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
Quote from Radix:
lots of noise can be seen in solid colors (like walls)

What does that mean? Does the sound distort colors or something?

I don't know, I always thought doing Kraid first is a bit faster. I'm not sure, though. Ridley first has its ups, but so does Kraid. It's possible that they may be the same or really close to it. I was still able to get to Tourian at 19:13 (entrance) with several mistakes between my ship (as far as I can tell, this is my best option) and Tourian (it totally sucks, being the imperfect perfectionest I am).
Quote:
I was still able to get to Tourian at 19:13

I usually do Ridley before Kraid and I get to the entrance of Tourian in :20:xx.  But of course, I mess up at times.

Anyways, new record for me: :38:07, 26%.

I left out HJ boots, when infact I should've taken them and left out a missile tank or something. I had to RUN through MS on the escape instead of ball sparking through the last 2 rooms.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Quote from JaggerG:
Quote from Radix:
lots of noise can be seen in solid colors (like walls)

What does that mean? Does the sound distort colors or something?

Has nothing to do with audio. I'm not sure if using noise in that way is well known or not, but it means random garbage, basically. The solid colors end up with parts going lighter or darker shades... it's kinda hard to explain, but look at any of the runs and you'll see it subtly.
lol no way
1:25:45 9% Time Attack

This was the funnest run EVER. I screwed around so much.. hahaha. Good run. TA doesn't record low%'s, it seems, so I'll just have to get the next 91% to make this run worthwhile.
Time: 1:27:05
Difficulty: Normal (Time Attack)
Percentage: 100%

This run sucked big time. Yet I found myself beating my old 100% record with over 1 minute. And they do not share the same routes at all I might add. My last route was the one in Ajbolt's latest 100% movie. This one was just like all my old ones :)
Had fun with this one (actually a nice change from 100% runs):

Normal 15% (Time Attack)
1:01:17

Kinda fun actually to have to dodge everything since I can't SA through it all. And go go SJ without HJ!

Note: Took 3 Supers and 3 E-tanks as my extra stuff.