<- 1  -   of 67 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I like Big Butts and I can not lie
Quote from Lance Uppercut:
I thought getting the WS super missile would take even longer than a minute, not to talk about ammo management

On the other hand. By getting the super missile, you can put off the charge beam until you have plasma beam, and then exit through the top door in that room, and get charge beam staight away.
Every Bit Counts
For TAS people, what buttons do you use for what? I am having a hard time using frame advance with other buttons.
Well, what emulator do you use? I record my smvs with snes9x 1.43 improvement 7. Though they should usually work in improvement 6 and 9 too (no I dont have any facts about that, correct me if I am horribly wrong). I think the emulator puts the sync settings automatically, but in my playthrough it uses
- Use WIP1 Timing
- Allow Left+Right / Up+Down
- Fake Mute desync workaround

Other thing might be the rom you have patched. Is your rom originally named Super Metroid (JU).smc ? My rom is. I can play for example PJMans, Tonskis and Saturns smv files usually allright with my rom, so when you find the correct one, you should be able to play just about every smv posted here.

I hope this helps any. Well, we will always have youtube.  =)

Thanks for the tips... I will give that a shot when I get back to my apartment tomorrow. I don't know which version of snesx9 I have as I use zsnes when I play. I did get a zmv to work for that before.

Ah well. I was interested to see the mythical x-ray visor collected. :)
Almost happy
Quote from Fano7:
For TAS people, what buttons do you use for what? I am having a hard time using frame advance with other buttons.

It's a real pain finding a button setup that works all the time no matter what trick or crazy ass strategy you need to do, thus I often had to reconfigure some buttons every now and then for the first 100 or so hours I spent TASing SuperMetroid. Now the setup might seem very bad and useless but I have learned using it well and the only problems left are when several directions needs to be pressed at the same time (Though thoose times comes so rarely that I just change the button for a short time.)

So now I have it like this, 7-frameadvance I-Pause Z-Dash(I'll just write what it does in SM since that's the only game I TAS sofar) V-Jump Caps-Shoot E-Itemcancell S-Select Enter-Start X-aim up F-Aim down C-turbo Aim down A-Turbo shoot. 1234567890-Savestate. F1-F10 loadstate. And directions on the arrows.

BTW Frame advance usually seems akward and hard to begin with but you learn quickly.

EDIT: I was just trying out if it was possible to enter kraid with a CWJ, it came really close but I think it's impossible. I'll add the smv so anyone who want's to can give it a try.

Also it is possible to do the CWJ even if you just blow up the two highest blocks but I think I came closer with this method.
attachment:
Quote from Fano7:

attachment:
Here's proof that I can't beat Ridley with out a crystal flash
Almost happy
Hmm, but if you gather up to 10 SuperMissiles and do a CF then you can do ~11000 damage to ridley with missiles, the 7000 that is left has to be done with spazer (if it even does damage) Is that possible in time?
I'm gonna gather all 30 Super Missiles if I can
I just wasted Torizo (SP?) without dieing (easy kill) but the thing is I cannot escape by using the old bomb path cause I need super missiles.

I've been trying that wall jump trick to morph ball I've nearly done it loads of times but when I go into morph ball I'm 1 inch not high enough.
You have to do the wall-jump trick on the right side of the wall. When you get to the 3rd notch, do a wall-jump and make sure you hold jump but don't press right, then just tap down (just the once)
Ridley has been slayed. Guess how much health I had left
0, I'm not kidding, I had 0 health
Wow, that was simply amazing! I had no idea a pause trick like that existed. Also, beautiful job with those elite pirates. I didnt know regular missiles do that much damage for those.

You also took your time to make the Crystal Flashing very close, that was great too. Refilling is always an issue no matter if you are doing a TAS or just playing. I would have refilled in the room just before Ridley with two of those bugs raising from the lava at the same time.

You are almost there, keep at it! My most anticipated part will be the wave beam room, and how stylish you will make it  :)
Wow, that was simply amazing! I had no idea a pause trick like that existed. Also, beautiful job with those elite pirates. I didnt know regular missiles do that much damage for those.

I would have refilled in the room just before Ridley with two of those bugs raising from the lava at the same time.

I just happened to get super missiles everytime in the room I was in

You are almost there, keep at it! My most anticipated part will be the wave beam room, and how stylish you will make it  :)

woo! nearly there
Almost happy
Nice, wonder what the time will be...
Hey guys, this is the guy that's been playing through the game on the Something Awful forums, if anyone's been following that (I think I've seen it linked to a couple times in this thread). I've read most of this, but either I didn't see it or forgot it and I don't really want to look through 50 pages again. I'm at the end of the game doing the escape, and I really, really want to save the animals. I have saturn's TAS where he saves them and gets off zebes with 10 or so seconds left, which led me to believe that it's probably possible in realtime. I've given it maybe 4 hours of practice by now and the closest I can get is right around the final door to the room with your ship (after saving them). Has anyone at all saved them without frame advance? Is it possible without all the frame-perfect jumps and stuff saturn does in the TAS? If it's possible at all, I'm going to do it, but if nobody has done it without frame advance it'd be nice to know so I can just give up on that idea.
Almost happy
Without frameadvance you probably at least need turbo armpump to succed, or be hotarubi.
Quote from Saturn:
And wow, X-Ray scope got discovered. This is a highlight I didn't expect to happen so soon. How did you found that location btw, by pure accident, or by some special searching-strategy? Would be interesting to know.
I don't know what P.JMan was doing, but until he posted where it was I had been looking my own way.  First I deprotected the ROM so I could open it in SMILE, but it was all garbled until I turned off Layers 1/2 and BTS.  It still crashed in a lot of rooms, though I could weed some out.  Then I save stated in every other room and looked at the sprites currently in vram using vSNES to see if xray was loaded.

Was this not the intended way Embarassed
Or you could open it up in SMILE v0.1. It still crashes in a lot of rooms (x-ray room included)
Saving the animals is definitely possible in realtime. There were a couple places in this run that I messed up and could save at least 10 or 15ms each, and I didn't do arm pumping at all. So I'm definitely going to do it.

attachment:
Quote from P.JMan:
Or you could open it up in SMILE v0.1. It still crashes in a lot of rooms (x-ray room included)
I actually did that first (couldn't find any versions between .1 and .3) but figured 1.0 might not crash if I deprotected the ROM.  It crashed in all the same rooms and was garbled the same ways regardless of version.
Quote from Swilo:
I don't know what P.JMan was doing, but until he posted where it was I had been looking my own way. First I deprotected the ROM so I could open it in SMILE, but it was all garbled until I turned off Layers 1/2 and BTS. It still crashed in a lot of rooms, though I could weed some out. Then I save stated in every other room and looked at the sprites currently in vram using vSNES to see if xray was loaded.

Was this not the intended way Embarassed

Did you actually manage (or was it possible at all?) to find out with this method, before seing P.JMan's solution?
Obviously this isn't the intended method. :)

Blarrrg:
I think without massive abuse of savestates and slowdown, saving the animals isn't possible unless, as Cpadolf said, you are hotarubi. The most important key for success is not arm pumping, but optimizing the jumps between platforms very precisely. We humans lose the most time here since we tend to jump slightly higher than required to avoid risk of missing the platforms otherwise, which would be a even bigger delay then. Saving animals is a ~10 sec detour, but I never managed to get this 10 sec to spare when beta testing the escape myself without slowdowns (it was like 0-5 at most all the time).

So if you really want to do it without slowdowns, this will be very tough. Good luck though.
Quote from Saturn:
Did you actually manage (or was it possible at all?) to find out with this method, before seing P.JMan's solution?
Obviously this isn't the intended method. :)
I was only halfway through Norfair because it was taking so long to do (I had no clue where in the sprite table it would show up so I had to scan everything), but as soon as I knew the correct room I tried this out and it worked so I would have found it eventually.
The operation was completely successful.

Clear Time 04:57

Your rate for collecting items is 96%

See you next mission.

Missed tube missiles, x-ray scope, and in Maridia.  Great game.  Don't kill me, but I actually expected it to be harder, Saturn.  Ridley was intense, even pounding the button the whole time I got the health with 1 left.  The dang tail kept on blocking supers.
Congrats Buster, and sorry if the hack was too easy for you. Hope you enjoyed it anyway. :P

And those who don't know, Blarrrg managed to beat this hack with 100% of items and even saved the animals (although the latter with some slowed down emu speed). Very good job as well.
OK, done until Tourian. I don't really need to continue since every item has been collected :P