<- 1234567 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
the first couple times I tried for 100% at all, I searched all over the freaking map, combing every room multiple times, except I only checked all of Maridia a couple times. I reached 99%, and ended up resorting to a map at GFAQs. I had gotten that missile in a different runthrough, but completely forgot about it. I even shot through it a couple times and didn't find it on that last run.

It had been in the turtle room. I guess there's a spot you can stand on that lets you x-ray to see it, but I must have gone too far underneath it that run because I didn't see it the first couple times around.
Sorry for thread resurrection, but I suppose this is the only right place to ask this question.

A lot of time has passed without any updates or notifications whatsoever. BlueGlass, are you still working on this run? Have you had any good attempts so far?

I'm not sure about Hotarubi (I guess I should contact catnap222 on that matter), but I hope you'll at least say something so we could know what to hope for. :)
I guess Hotarubi doesn't do anything for 100%.
I wish he recovered the motivation for speedrun. Rolling Eyes
Yes, I am still working on this, though I'm actually still practicing unfortunately, as life has been interfering with my playing.  At this rate, I'm hoping to start actual attempts sometime around the end of summer.  I have no intention of giving up on this, however, especially seeing as how I appear to be the only one working on it ATM.  When I do start recording, I'll be sure to let everyone know.
Eschews avatars
Woooo! Go go go!

Red Scarlet's :55 is what originally got me into this game, but if you can surpass that, I wanna see.
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
I actually got into it by everyone saying it's the best game evar.

Although I have mentioned speedruns to people and at least one stopped and stared into space trying to comprehend the possibility of such times. I think these records tend to re-light the torches, so to speak.

So basically, somebody has to finish a 1% SS Fusion video for people to get motivated to try 1% SS Fusion runs again. >_< SPARK THE LIFE, BS!
I've been considering a route change, but I want to hear other people's opinions before deciding one way or the other on it.

Basically, what I'm thinking is this:

on first entering red Brinstar, instead of going down right away, first going up and grabbing the PBs.

This will save time in Kraid's lair:
    place a PB in the first room to destroy the bomb block before reaching itin the second room, damage boost to the right off the first kihunter, then place a PB and grab the missileson the way out, place a PB on entering the first room to destroy the bomb block

Obviously, this also completely removes the need to return to the area later.

A couple more timesavers in Norfair:
    in the room before hi-jump, place a PB on the way out to destroy both bomb block and enemy, removing the need to kill the enemy and open the door when first entering the roomwhen leaving the bubble room after wave beam, skip the annoying morphball tunnel

The downside to this idea should be extremely obvious.  Grabbing the PBs early takes a good bit of time, but I think (based on extremely rough and inaccurate timing) this would end up saving a few more seconds than it costs.

Thoughts and opinions?

EDIT: And it turns out I'm an idiot, as I had already planned on doing this but completely forgotten about it.  Well, I did discover a couple new slight timesavers.

EDIT2: I updated the route I have on page 4.
coral to complement blue
Yeah, that's what Hotarubi does in his test TAS (which is the route you are using now, right?)
I approve of the changes. Btw, if I recall it right, Hotarubi actually opened the upper door before going into the Hi-Jump room, which was unneeded with the current powerbomb strategy. Although he might have needed that bomb for another part I don't remember about... Either way, see if your ammo management plan allows to drop powerbombs every time it saves time without big problems.
I just double-checked, and I'll be fine on PBs, unless I have the terrible luck of not getting a single random PB refill, in which case, I would have to use a regular bomb somewhere, probably at the top of the old Touian escape shaft.

In fact, I've just realized another slight timesaver:

after grabbing Spazer, mockball out and lay a PB a bit after falling off the platform in fron ot the door, then unmorph, run, jump, shoot out the block in the tunnel, and mockball in.  No need to set a bomb and wait for it to explode.

EDIT: Also, if I can get at least two random PB refills, and Phantoon is kind enough to drop a few PBs on death (which he almost always does), I can likely skip refilling at the ship before WS.
Quote from BlueGlass:

after grabbing Spazer, mockball out and lay a PB a bit after falling off the platform in fron ot the door, then unmorph, run, jump, shoot out the block in the tunnel, and mockball in.  No need to set a bomb and wait for it to explode.

I have timed this actually. It only saves 7 frames altogether, and it won't be worth wasting a power bomb.

If you really wanted to be ballsy, I know of a pretty good route modification (though it may be impossible to do in real time). Essentially you would have to collect the speed booster and the wave beam without the varia. Crocomire's section doesn't hurt samus so you would only be vulnerable to the heat for a few rooms. After killing crocomire and completing his area you will be able to pick up the conveniently placed power bombs. Not only would there not be any backtracking at all, you would also have the speed booster for kraid's lair.

Edit: Nevermind, you wouldn't have enough E tanks to do it in real time.
[quote="hero of the day"]
Quote from BlueGlass:

I have timed this actually. It only saves 7 frames altogether, and it won't be worth wasting a power bomb.[quote/]
Hmm.  I guess it's just one of those things that seems a lot faster than it actually is.

Quote from hero of the day:
If you really wanted to be ballsy, I know of a pretty good route modification (though it may be impossible to do in real time). Essentially you would have to collect the speed booster and the wave beam without the varia. Crocomire's section doesn't hurt samus so you would only be vulnerable to the heat for a few rooms. After killing crocomire and completing his area you will be able to pick up the conveniently placed power bombs. Not only would there not be any backtracking at all, you would also have the speed booster for kraid's lair.

Edit: Nevermind, you wouldn't have enough E tanks to do it in real time.

Also remember that I would need enough energy to grab the missiles in the acid on my way through the second heated room.  Making an educated guess, an unassisted runner would probably need a minimum of 700 energy to pull that off.
The main problem with the suitless Norfair items route (not even considering the Lava Missile) is that before grabbing both, Speed Booster and Wave Beam, you would be forced to refill your health at the pipe bugs. Doing this against the constant heat damage will require alot of such refill rounds and thus will be way too slow to be worth the route. In that refill time alone you will probably get the Red Brinstar PBs already.
Complete route for the run:

Ceres
Morph Ball (1%)
Missiles (2%)
Torizo (3%)
to Brinstar (etank) (4%)
mockball supers items (9%)
missiles+ charge beam (11%)
climb red Brinstar
PBs+missiles (damage boost to/from) (13%)
spazer (14%)
Kraid missiles (15%)
Kraid
Varia (16%)
Kraid etank (17%)
etank+hi-jump+missiles (20%)
to bubble room (acid missiles) (21%)
missiles+speedbooster (23%)
if supers 2 or less, boost into pipe bugs for refill
missiles+wave (25%)
ice beam (26%)
norfair gate hater
quick charge+spark across red Brinstar water rooms
to blue Brinstar
blue Brinstar PBs (27%)
short charge, spark to two-missiles-in-one-room (29%)
grab 2nd missiles and etank on way out (31%)
charge shine by elevator, shine through MB old room, grab missiles (32%)
escape shaft supers (33%)
Crateria caves missiles (34%)
landing site PBs (35%)
Wrecked Ship spark (36%)
Phantoon: two round fight
right Supers (37%)
left Supers (38%)
short charge+ shine to no-power missiles, damage boost back (39%)
short charge in water room, shine through spike platform room
Wrecked Ship etank (40%)
top of Wrecked Ship (clear room with power bomb, beam, and shinespark)
missiles to right (41%)
shine back across top room
two outdoor missiles (43%)
gravity suit shine
missiles+rtank (45%)
gravity (46%)
underwater missiles (47%)
to green Brinstar
etecoon items (50%)
mockball out from etecoon PBs
shinespark to missiles/PBs by giant sidehoppers (52%)
PB door etank (53%)
go to Spore Spawn's supers, destroy block with properly timed Super
Spore Spawn's Supers (54%)
Charge Beam etank (55%)
pipe missiles (56%)
to Maridia
main street missiles (57%)
turutle items (59%)
crab Supers (60%)
shine up big grapple room
sandy area missiles through fake wall (61%)
missile+super duo in sand area (63%)
to Botwoon, kill Scarlet-style
attempt to-Draygon spark
missiles before Draygon (64%)
kill Draygon two-round spark+supers
Space Jump (65%)
spark back
past-Botwoon etank (66%)
down right cove, missiles+PB66 (68%)
Spring Ball (69%)
Plasma beam (70%)
refill Supers on purple cacti
drop down post-Botwoon sand pit, kill spike enemy, short charge, diagonal spark to missiles+supers in vertical grapple room (72%)
left cove (74%)
to Norfair
crumble block shaft missiles (75%)
above Crocamire missiles (76%)
Crocamire
etank (77%)
past-Crocamire PBs (78%)
Grapple beam+ missiles (80%)
springball to missiles off shaft, damage boost back (81%)
charge shine in Crocamire�s room, shine through room before energy refill
space jump acroos yapping maw/acid room
damage boost off fireball-shooting head
to Lower Norfair
quick charge space jump through entrance room
speed springball across gold statue room
drain lava
Golden Torizo missiles+supers (83%)
quick charge, grab SA, shine up shaft (84%)
kill rippers for supers
quick charge shine, spark through pillar room
go up room
Mickey Mouse missiles (85%)
lava room
down towards Ridley
PBs in kagoball room (86%)
kagoball through platforms
one-shot each metal pirate
charge shine in lava, spark to eye door
kill Ridley with Supers, force grab with PB
Ridley�s etank (87%)
shine across metal pirate room
short charge mockball through tunnel
light bug room etank (88%)
nearby missiles+PB (90%)
leaving LN missiles (91%)
Norfair rtank+missiles (94%)
bubble room missiles (95%)
leave Norfair
xray scope (96%)
giant sidehoper PBs (97%)
Gauntlet items (100%)
Tourian
skip energy refill
MB
escape
Speedrunner
I see your route are change again.

Is this faster? You get PB before Kraid, just like TAS run. But is this faster? Your must be kill all rippers and up rise red brinstar shaft W/O ice and without hi jumps. I am pretty sure your must be kill rippers here, because it is very hard up rise W/O ice beam. This place took alot time on console

Route sound like interesting but is this faster?
He doesn't have to kill the rippers. Basically, you do a few walljumps, shoot up to destroy the block, fall down and quickly walljump again before the block restores. It's well possible to do.

Also, BlueGlass, does that mean you've started doing the actual attempts now? :)
Quote from moozooh:
Also, BlueGlass, does that mean you've started doing the actual attempts now? :)

Sorry, not yet.  School and new games are slowing down my progress on practicing.  And the gravity suit shine hates me eternally.  I'll get it consistently after several attempts, but when I try again at a later date, I have to devise another new method, because I can't remember the exact timing to the preciseness I need for the shine.  Does anyone have any advice on a consistent way to get this shine to work?

I took a look back at this topic because of a discussion I was having in the "best times" topic and noticed that the post that had previously contained my route had gotten messed up in the forum switch, and I wanted the route posted somewhere, so I reposted it.
you can report these things and i'll fix them, you know.
It really wasn't hard to fix.  The text of the post was still there when I went to edit it, and a little bit of copying, pasting, and cutting solved the problem.
oh, didn't realize you fixed the actual post.
The Red Brinstar shaft is possible without killing the rippers, and also (as i'm sure BlueGlass is aware) is possible to do in only one trip.  Simply ledge-grab onto the platform you will be jumping off of; and standing on the very edge, shoot up.  Now you must wall jump with a very small time frame between each jump. 

If you did it fast enough, the bullet will hit the block in the ceiling.  Furthermore, this is very hard to do, but if your walljumps are precise enough, you can save an extra second by walljumping straight up past the ripper that will be waiting for you near the top.  I wouldn't advise this, though, it seems very hard to get down consistantly.

The "1 trip" shaft, though, I can get about 50% of the time.
If you locked me in a room for the rest of my life and the only way I could earn my freedom would be to pull off every trick in that run, I would die of old age trying.
hmmm. freedom wouldb't be enough motivation.

A large plate of tacos? Now were talking. IHBJ, Here I come!

*Disclaimer: I cannot do such things, even for an exhuberent amount of mexican deliciousness.
Speedrunner
Today i just managed that red brinstar shaft wall jumps W/O hijumps/ice beam and i not kill any rippers.

I´ve must be say it was really hard, especially SS-run. This can really kill your game. TAS style doesn,t work, i think it is near impossible on console. That route caused bit backtrack IMO. I think is this better use old Blueglass route? Made early PB game any faster? probably it save little bit time. You can get Kraid lair missiles very early W/O back track. But early PB caused lot back track IMO.

But well this sounds still interesting
1. You can't get the Kraid missiles without PBs because they're blocked by PB blocks, so however "very early" it is, it won't be earlier than getting PBs in any case.
2. Backtracking by itself doesn't necessarily cause a time loss. In fact, BG's current route is very heavily optimized for lower ingame time at no sufficient increase in playing risk.