<- 1  -   of 67 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
yeah, I came to the conclusion pretty quickly when I began practising that trick for my run that people were actually ghettoing off the wrong rock. I think the video below shows this pretty clearly.

Ironically, because I'm going to Sanc via Agon, I don't believe it was necessary for me to do it - but I still think that it's faster than activating the cutscene, even when it takes two attempts as it did in this case.

from my run:

http://www.ali1548.ukshells.co.uk/vids/101pc_ghetto.avi
Mister ...
Does echoes have a tendancy to lag at certain points in the game, or is it just my disk?  I've just had a couple of incidents where it's lagging, once where you get the Dark Beam Combo, and another time coming out of morph ball at Sanctuary fortress.  I haven't SB'd, so I have no idea what it is, and the disk doesn't have any scratches or fingerprints on it, so there really isn't a reason as to why it's doing it.  Can someone tell me why it's doing this?
Many games on the gamecube lag, usually from a lot of things being on the screen, simply put. I dont think a bad disk would cause too much lag, so I'm quite sure that the lag is "normal".
the thing is that prime never went below 60 fps normally, so if echoes is doing it predictably then that's just another reason why echoes sucks. but we'll have to wait for someone who actually knows about echoes to confirm or deny this.
there's definitely more slowdown in echoes. I think a lot of it has to do with the wibbly-wobbly effect on the portals - they're definitely the worst offenders - but yeah generally I think they probably decided that they could suffer the engine dropping below 60 fps in places in the interests of trying to make everything look prettier. Personally, where 3d is concerned, I'll take "smooth and fast" over "detailed" any day of the week.
Mister ...
I dunno, it just seems kinda odd to me.  I've played the through the whole game and it's never slowed down on me before today.  I'm not gonna let it worry me too much.  It's just a small concern is all.  Thanks anyways.
(user is banned)
you dont notice a whole lot of slowdown in any games these days...

i've noticed it on echoes in those areas, especially in areas where there are multiple explosions at once.

in halo 2, you will experience massive slowdown if there are grenades going off around your warthog. every time.

and in resident evil 4, if there are too many enemies on the screen (or they all die within a certain time of one another) it will slow down.

but its rare to see lag unless you're playing an mmorpg or over an online game.
my umbrella goes directly to Bankai
that reminds me of the time i used a Screw Attack and the game looked like it was in 10 fps and extremely slow moving (took like 10 seconds to just touch ground since i didn't try to screw attack more). i thought the game was going to crash.

the other day, in my hard 100% run, when i was going to pick the Darkburst, i used a BSJ to reach it but then Samus was half-morphed when i used SA and it looked weird. she was static and the screw attack flares were around her and she moved a bit but she was in human form ready to fall to the ground (like when you end a SA). i feared a crash again.
im sorry if this seems as spam because it may have been already asked/mentioned, but since there are 27 pages, thats a lot of reading.  im having trouble in great bridge. im using the methods listed here and i cant seem to pull off any of them.  method one is what i have the closest sucess with, the bsj is easy, but i cant get enough height with the scan dash so i run right into the bridge.  the second method is a wreck.  i can ghetto jump up to the translator maybe once out of 20 times, i think im going about it wrong, is there a trick with that?  i think if i could get that, the scan dash would be easier from that point, i havent done that one sucessfully yet though.  then the third method, the bsj then space jump.  i almost got that a couple times, but a lot of times after the bsj when i push right to move right, samus looks right instead.  ive looked at the video numerous times but i see no sign of holding L.  if you could help me here i would appreciate it.  its not that i can get past here, i just need help with the techniques.  if i was really desperate, i could just bsj up to the ledge on the right, scan the cannon activator and cannon up to the bridge, but whats the challenge in that?  :P
method 1: you probably need to practise r-dashing. Begin scanning a target and then slam the stick left or right and hit B simultaneously to begin the dash. For these dashes, you will want to rotate the stick to backwards immediately after tapping B in a quarter circle motion. Once you've got the stick to backwards, hold R, and then tap B again for the space jump whenever you feel it is appropriate.

method 2: not sure I can help too much with this because I've always done that ghetto a slightly different way. The second video on the old wiki page might help you. (on a side note, sparky's first vid is missing ...)

method 3: you do need to hold L to get the strafe to the bridge to work, but if you hold it before the instant unmorph or too soon after the instant unmorph, it will not take effect, so you need to wait until just after you get the instant unmorph to hold L. You probably want to hit L at the same time as hitting B for the first jump, or possibly fractionally before, but after the instant unmorph.

It also occurs to me that it might be possible to BSJ onto the translator gate rather than ghettoing - try standing with your back to it and pushing forward as you morph and attempting the BSJ from there - but this is conjecture, as I've never tried it and have no idea if it will work.

HTH.
thank you for the advice, i am about to try some stuff now.  i was doing the scan dash slightly wrong with timing and what not.  also, doing a bsj on the translator door would be hard, as you dont have a large stretch of flat ground.  a 3bsj or maybe even a double bsj would work if you were further away but i think it would be quicker doing it one of the other three ways.  also, the description of the ghetto jumping onto the translator door helped, i was jumping too late and not hitting the bump in the ground, which would explain why i would get it sometimes.  so thank you again :)

EDIT:  i can now ghetto jump onto the translator door with much much more consistancy. and i got the bsj from the ledge with the translator door to the bridge to work too. the timing with the L button was what the problem was, because with your description on how to do it i was able to pull the timing off second try :) so my thanks again.  im still working on the scan dash.  the timing with the freeze scan dash is what is getting me, i dont rotate the joystick fast enough, so practice will help that.  also, just for kicks, i tried the bsj at the translator door and it worked, the best way i found was to have the door to your left as you are facing foward, then you are on a small bit of raised ground, then do a bsj and space jump and you are on the door, much easier then the ghetto in my opinion, but thats because i cant get the timing right with the bump you have to ghetto off of
I dont have boostball and i am in the hall of honored dead trying to get the seekers! HELP!
Get Boost Ball.  If you're trying to prove the rumors true about getting Seekers sans Boost though, you're on your own.
ok, how the hell do you do this crap? its so hard! and whats the deal with the flaty jumP? how do you float like that?
someone tell me how to kill him
Bomb him a few times, then place a bomb in the bomb slot.  Then do it again, then again, then again, then again, then again.  You should probably post stuff like this in the help topic, though.
my umbrella goes directly to Bankai
you can place the bomb in the bombslot when the guardian is green shaded.
Could someone please explain the method of getting from the top of the cage area, over the tree root and onto the rock in TAS is.  I've gotten on it twice, but I have know idea how.  Are you trying to ghetto off the more vertical part of the tree or the root itself?  Is it one of those ghettos where you stay against the object?  Also, do you release L during the move?  I've been trying by jumping sort of parallel to the root to make it around the end and then onto the rock, but I can't seem to get it.
red chamber dream
Er, what do you mean by "TAS" there?
Sounds like an area... Echoes section refers to Temple Assembly Site, though of course I've no idea what it looks like and whether it has rocks and tree roots.
Yeah, Temple Assembly Site.  Area where DJGrenola picks up the early PB expansion.
That's a difficult ghetto jump ... or at least it's difficult at first and then it starts to get a little easier. I hold L throughout it. The idea is you need to get enough height with the initial ghetto off where the cage meets the tree to let you slide over the branch. Once you've passed the branch, then you want to use your second jump to get to the rock. Don't use the second jump until you're past the branch.

All I can really suggest is to watch the video carefully and try to copy the angle and the point where I jump as closely as you can. It's not like I make that jump every time though ... it took hundreds of tries the first time I did it, so practice makes perfect.
red chamber dream
If I'm not mistaken, you can also just DBJ up there (much easier, but you have to do it from the highest part of the ground).

I remember doing this when I first got Echoes, thinking I had discovered something new. Turns out it was already known and was supposed to be added to the site. KOFF.
Quote from Arkarian:
If I'm not mistaken

You are mistaken. We're not talking about the early missile expansion, we're talking about going out-of-bounds to get the early power bomb - and the only other known way up to that rock is with sparky's (IMO) trickier BSJ.
red chamber dream
Oh, okay. I need to play Echoes more, I guess.

... or not.