<- 1  -   of 125 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from Arkarian:
Right, but it's not like you need it. It makes for a slower time overall if you do get it.

Uhm, afaik, no. :p
red chamber dream
Oh, duh, I was getting low% and any% mixed up. I guess you would get the Charge Beam in an any% run (I was thinking earlier that you'd be skipping the Charge Beam (and therefore the Ice Spreader) in an any% run).
Yeah, using ice spreader on metroid prime is faster. I think I heard somewhere it was ~40 seconds faster, but I'm  not sure. StefanVandijke gets it in his WR run.
red chamber dream
I know it's faster to use when actually killing the boss, but I wasn't sure if it was faster to get the Charge Beam and Ice Spreader in the first place.
Keep in mind - Ice Spreader is said to save 40 seconds on Prime's first form, and it takes about 5 seconds to get (assuming you get it right after Artifact of Strength) so overall it saves around 35 seconds.  That is assuming, however, you acquire enough missiles to make it meaningful.  kip's 1:04 he only acquired 20 missiles, IIRC.  You'd need more, say 35-40 missiles, to make getting ice spreader worthwhile.
Now, as far as charge beam is concerned - that saves time in MANY MANY places, other than allowing you to use ice spreader on Prime.  Assuming you don't get super missiles, and do early Wild, charge beam would make the 3x Chozo Ghost fight for Wild MUCH faster than regular power beam alone.  The other three phases of Prime's first form (power, wave, plasma) are made faster with charge beam.  Various bosses have fast kill strategies using charged shots, for instance charged plasma on Omega Pirate, charged plasma for Meta-Ridley's airborne form, etc.
Plus, not only is getting charge beam faster in the long run, it makes the run much easier.  For instance, good luck killing ice troopers without charge beam (assuming you're on NTSC and can't powerbomb them).  If you're going to go through Mines Security Station, charge beam is a godsend.  If you're not getting many missiles, then a charged shot carries roughly the same punch as a missile.  Tractoring in refills dropped during boss fights is quite handy... the list goes on and on.  I'd say that going from Gathering Hall to Watery Hall, getting the charge beam, and coming back takes about 45 seconds.  From that point on, I'd say having the charge beam saves you at LEAST 2-3 minutes.
I suppose someone could try to break it down scientifically, but just from my knowledge of the game, it seems like a very skilled runner attempting a "charge beam free" any% run would be at a disadvantage when it comes to mission final time.
Mister ...
So, reading that second paragraph, it's faster to use Charged Plasma beam then it is to use Super missiles?
Anywhere, everywhere
Quote from nn12000:
So, reading that second paragraph, it's faster to use Charged Plasma beam then it is to use Super missiles?

On ridley? Yes.
Plus, if you're going for a really fast time, and you're serious about it... you won't have super missiles anyway.  They take quite awhile to get, and there are alternative strategies that make them unnecessary.  For instance, kill OP using charged plasma or powerbombs; kill Meta-Ridley using charged plasma + boostball + charged/regular plasma; use charged plasma shots for Phazon Elite, etc.
OOC, wouldn't Ice be better on a grounded Ridley?  Plasma and Ice are roughly the same strength (charged Plasma > charged Ice by a little, but Ice > Plasma by a little as well), but with the longer cannon, the Plasma Beam has a longer charge blast recovery time than the others.  Ice is on par with Plasma and is faster at firing; the slow speed of the actual blasts won't matter at close range.

It's nitpicking, sure, but I despise noticably longer recovery times.
Anywhere, everywhere
:-s  Plasma's way stronger and easier to hit.

And once he's gronded you just use power beam and rapid missiles.
Also, if you use rapid missiles on his flying form, (which is faster) you won't have enough missiles remaining to use the ice spreader. (unless you're playing a 100% run)
Anyone know offhand what the time difference is between using (charged power beam + rapid fire missiles) versus (charged plasma beam + regular plasma beam) for Ridley's ground form?  This is assuming Meta-Ridley always roars and never charges (or that you can get in the shot to make him abort the charge attack).  I would think that the plasma beam method, which uses zero missiles, can't be more than a few seconds slower than rapid fire missiles.
always move fast
four ice spreaders would be best against mp, as you can take out two ice forms and two wave forms (round two and three).  so, without going for refills during the fight, you would need forty missiles.  you can get fifteen in the little tunnel from the lizards, so you need at least 25 at the save.  ridley takes 26 iirc, so that would bring the total to 51.  you can force two refills in the battle without much trouble, and even three or more if you are patient enough, so 40-45 missiles would be ideal.  i would personally suggest 45, as the missiles gotten dont take more than a second or two and save tons of trouble.

5) main plaza
10) watery hall access
15) gathering hall
20) root cave tunnel
25) that room before the first elite pirate
30) the room above frigate crash site
35) life grove access
40) metroid quarantine a
45) fungal hall b

seem to be the best afaik, so pick and choose.
Anywhere, everywhere
Ridley takes 21 missiles or 20 plus a few power shots fyi.

And I think it's neat my fungal hall b idea is being used. aiwebs_008
24% run (22% items + boost + charge beam)
single segment run (well, almost, I died once against the final boss)
2:09

This was my first low% run. I really wasn't going for speed, I just wanted to know if  I could beat the game without any e-tanks and missile expansion. and well, that was much easier that I expected.
It would be another story without charge beam though. and I doubt i'll ever be able to skip boost ball...
kyupi+yakisoba=win
Thats pretty good iowa. I tried a low % game and never could get up to the room with the plasma beam. You saved yourself a lot of frustration getting the boost ball. And by the way i just got a 1:07 any% time and i am fairly certain i could beat kips time with a little more patience. But patience is not one of my stronger areas. I finally gave up on a hard 100% run cause my lack of patience and the fact that it made me so mad. i broke my joystick by swinging it so hard trying to do a scan dash. I get way too excited sometimes.
my fastest run is 2:40 with 41% i think.

I skipped Super Missle, Grapple Beam, Gravity Suit, and Thermal Visor.
I shame on me about that run but:

PAL- low% 23% in 2:07.( I cannot skip the boost ball)

I did this run 3 months ago.
Anywhere, everywhere
Quote from rekameohs:
I'm working on an any% right now. I'm not done yet, but I have spent a VERY long time on it and am trying to get a time as close to the record as possible. Right now, I'm in Phazon Mines at Central Dynamo after X-ray and Phazon Elite.... and I'm only 5 minutes behind kip! But the hardest segment (to me) is now, so it might be a while before you see a new time from me. Just letting you know I have a good run in the works. Wink

Whoa, I completely forgot about this one for a while. Anyhoo, I got a time of 1:16 with 32%. That is THE best I can accomplish, I'm sure of it. I spent about 2 months on it and I'm glad I finally got it done.

Haha this run was so bad. I did it in 2 days, with the 0-00 version of the game I got a few days ago. So many mistakes....
I'm not sure yet but I would say I can get low 1:10, maybe sub even. but I don't know if I'll have the time to do a serious run, as school is starting soon.
hey iowa that is very bizarre but i just did a normal any% run on ntsc too just for fun and i did it in 2 days too like you.

normal any% 1:09 (29%) i did it in 2 days. with exactly the same item collection as kip in his 1:04. i started it the day before yesterday and finished it yesterday. i will post in here a picture of the time soon like iowa. i didn't record it of course because it was just for fun. i just wanted to see how close i can get to kip's 1:04 by doing it for fun and relaxed and quickly. (i knew i wouldn't beat kip's 1:04 lol). but don't even think i will start working on a normal any% run in prime now. i have stopped playing metroid prime.
the 1:09 took me 2 days but it would require many months to tie with kip's 1:04 and it would require even much more time to even beat his 1:04.
i just don't wanna do that. i leave it to sparky. maybe sparky wants to do it or smilingjack13 or trebor.

well i will send the picture of my 1:09 soon
You did it in 2 days like me but... your time is MUCH better! :o
Congrats.
my umbrella goes directly to Bankai
well, Zoid has a WR already in mp1, so i can see he's more skilled.

*sees iowa weeping*

*runs away*
hey, my time:

i did it in 2 days. it is done in 19 segments. but i didn't record it of course.

these are the times:

1. 00% Space Pirate Frigate 00:00 Elapsed
2. 00% Space Pirate Frigate 00:02 Elapsed
3. 00% Tallon Overworld      00:05 Elapsed
4. 01% Tallon Overworld      00:05 Elapsed
5. 06% Chozo Ruins            00:11 Elapsed
6. 08% Magmoor Caverns    00:15 Elapsed
7. 12% Chozo Ruins            00:24 Elapsed
8. 13% Chozo Ruins            00:27 Elapsed
9. 14% Phazon Mines          00:30 Elapsed
10. 15% Tallon Overworld    00:35 Elapsed
11. 16% Chozo Ruins          00:36 Elapsed
12. 17% Chozo Ruins          00:37 Elapsed
13. 21% Phazon Mines        00:44 Elapsed
14. 21% Phazon Mines        00:46 Elapsed
15. 21% Phazon Mines        00:48 Elapsed
16. 23% Magmoor Caverns  00:52 Elapsed
17. 26% Magmoor Caverns  00:56 Elapsed
18. 28% Tallon Overworld    01:00 Elapsed
19. 29% Impact Crater        01:02 Elapsed

Final Time: 1:09 - 29%

well, thanks iowa, this time is good, but it is not so special great. just remember: stefan van Dijke has the 1:09 world record too, but on "PAL VERSION". and i did it on ntsc. and pal is slower than ntsc.
red chamber dream
Dude, you should definitely record that shit and attempt a new run. Just shave off six minutes, man.