<- 1  -   of 68 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
.... mid-air-morph.

Whenever a morph slot is too high for a double bomb jump to reach, ALWAYS mid air morph, i though i showed you that on the way to bombs?
Asking someone to do something that is not only physically impossible on a normal controller but next-to impossible on an emulator with a keyboard is ridiculous.  Again, you're alienating your audience and forcing them to do something they may not even know how to freakin' do.  Another example? Mock-ball.  How are people supposed to know how to mockball unless they've read a FAQ somewhere or went to a speed-run site?  And the fact that the Power Grip is not in this game isn't really going to help this situation, is it.  If you're wondering - yeah I jumped in the acid, just like everyone does.  Whether it comes down to that, or spending the next 10 minutes learning how to perfect mid-air morphing, I'm going for the former.
About mockballing, its not needed in my hack to beat the game.

About mid air morphing, its not hard to do if you ever tried to, press and hold jump,  press down just as you start jumping, then tap down again, its easy and it's been around in the original, the demo videos even showed it being used to ibj in air.
Cook of the Sea
Quote from moozooh:
That's why we got a sloppy and absolutely straightforward Fusion. What, exploration, sequence breaks? Hell no. Nintendo knows it's far too challenging and frustrating and stuff (losing health while performing a shinespark was especially frustrating).

Um, I think you might be missing the point of sequence breaks.  When they're planted in the game by the developers, they're not sequence breaks, they're alternate routes.  Besides, Fusion had a sequence break, Alternate Secret Message.  In any event, the developers should never be faulted for declining to cater to the sequence breaking community.  Indeed, if they attempt to, it categorically results in failure, like Ridley before Kraid in ZM.  That's not a sequence break, it's an alternate route.
Quote from Sigfriedxx:
you can also download atmas 2:11 run  at http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81719#81719

it shows the route of a normal first time playthrough, forthe most part, well, minus the guardian getting

I alreayd said that i'm really new to emulator :)
just got a question about that, How a I watch it ^-^ is there a option or something into the emulator ?

also he also link to a patch ? Why I need this patch ?

Thanks as always :)
Quote from SABERinBLUE:
Um, I think you might be missing the point of sequence breaks.  When they're planted in the game by the developers, they're not sequence breaks, they're alternate routes.

Ok, I'm not going to argue on the exact naming, but it's not only the sequence breaks Fusion lacks. It's more of a freedom issue. In all the other Metroid games, you've always been constrained by the obstacles like high cliffs, not yet destroyable blocks and so on, but you're actually free to go everywhere you want at your own discretion (hence, we have sequence breaks: it's just a number of methods to overcome those obstacles using game physics). In Fusion, you're constrained by the strict plot, which basically turns the game into a "go where I say, do what I say, repeat from the beginning" kind of walkthrough without a slightest hope of deviating from the designed path. Which is kinda lame for a game like Metroid.

Quote from SABERinBLUE:
Besides, Fusion had a sequence break, Alternate Secret Message.

And what kind of sequence does it really break? :) Skipping diffusion missiles is only a fancy trick to travel the same fixed route... without the diffusion upgrade. Dunno what does it really help to accomplish in a speedrun -- the sequence of events is still the same.

Quote from SABERinBLUE:
In any event, the developers should never be faulted for declining to cater to the sequence breaking community.

I never said they should plant the breaks. Actually, it's much more fun to play if they're unintentional.

However, everyone who calls Fusion an arcade for its straigtforwardness has a valid point to do that. And it was already discussed here many many times. I'm not going to do that one more time, nor I want to highjack this thread. This was mostly a righteous outburst (tm) to show that what Nintendo did was much farther from being ideal than Infinity's End used to think.

To make a free hack to please an experienced fan is one thing, and to consecutively strip the series off of some of their key values for the sake of Average Joe while tossing from one extreme (straightforward path, no advanced tricks) to another (a totally open path, all the advanced tricks are so easy to perform that they're not really advanced anymore) is something different -- and that really shows how unbalanced Nintendo's gameplay design is.

This hack at least shows another kind of variety in gameplay that Nintendo could but didn't bother to do in Fusion/Zero Mission. And as a devoted fan of Super Metroid, I appreciate it. Subject closed.
Cook of the Sea
Quote from moozooh:
Ok, I'm not going to argue on the exact naming, but it's not only the sequence breaks Fusion lacks. It's more of a freedom issue. In all the other Metroid games, you've always been constrained by the obstacles like high cliffs, not yet destroyable blocks and so on, but you're actually free to go everywhere you want at your own discretion (hence, we have sequence breaks: it's just a number of methods to overcome those obstacles using game physics). In Fusion, you're constrained by the strict plot, which basically turns the game into a "go where I say, do what I say, repeat from the beginning" kind of walkthrough without a slightest hope of deviating from the designed path. Which is kinda lame for a game like Metroid.

Sure, Fusion was unmetroidy, but when discussing the exploration and freedom element of Metroid games as seen from the perspective of choices on the part of the developer, one must leave sequence breaking out of the picture.  Even in the more exploration-based Metroid games, the sequence breaks are flaws in the system that were (we think) unintended by the developers.  If you're saying that the freedom and exploration aspect is one that the developers should strive for, that's fine, but don't think that sequence breaks necessarily follow from that.  I am of the opinion that the developers will never make a completely unbreakable Metroid game, but it is possible that they could make one that fully caters to the freedom and exploration aspect but lacks sequence breaking of any kind. 

Quote:
And what kind of sequence does it really break? :) Skipping diffusion missiles is only a fancy trick to travel the same fixed route... without the diffusion upgrade. Dunno what does it really help to accomplish in a speedrun -- the sequence of events is still the same.

No no, I said Alternate Secret Message.  Secret Message was intended by the developers, they even included extra dialog that could only be seen by performing it.  I'm talking about the trick whereby a single well-placed Ice Missile allows you to skip the Secret Message shinespark trick and proceed directly to the message, the trick they patched in the Japanese version to make it no longer possible.  That's a sequence break because it lets you get the Secret Message without doing what the developers wanted you to do to get it.  That's a side point in any event. 

Quote:
This was mostly a righteous outburst (tm) to show that what Nintendo did was much farther from being ideal than Infinity's End used to think.

"What a group of fans want" != "an ideal".  I agree with you fully that Fusion is a very different type of game from Super, but I also think it was a very masterfully executed concept.  Just because it wasn't the concept that you yourself may be interested in playing does not mean that Nintendo "screwed up" or made the game "unbalanced". 

Quote:
This hack at least shows another kind of variety in gameplay that Nintendo could but didn't bother to do in Fusion/Zero Mission. And as a devoted fan of Super Metroid, I appreciate it.

This is fine, but I would warn you away from citing Fusion and Zero Mission as ways in which Nintendo failed to live up to Super.  Super was one game, Fusion another, and Zero Mission another.  If you want a Super Metroid game experience, play Super Metroid.  Nintendo has not failed by declining to make more games that are intensely similar to a game that they have already made.  Nintendo takes enough flak for rehashing concepts, far more than is fair in my opinion (final fantasy and most first person shooters to name some counter-examples), so they don't exactly need people complaining that they failed to make more games like Super.
Quote from Bp_:
I alreayd said that i'm really new to emulator :)
just got a question about that, How a I watch it ^-^ is there a option or something into the emulator ?

also he also link to a patch ? Why I need this patch ?

Thanks as always :)

Well, here's a rough guideline on what you need to do and why do you need to do that.

1. As the ROM file (basically, a cart image dumped in binary form) cannot be written back to the game cart, you must feed it to an emulator.
2. A patch is a set of differences between the original ROM and the hack. To patch the original ROM you'll need a patching utility, such as Lunar IPS.
This movie uses Redesign ver. 1.1 (the latest version up to this point is 1.3). It WON'T run with any other version of the hack.
3. To watch the movie you need to open Snes9x, load the patched Super Metroid ROM (File -> Load game...), then load the movie file (File -> Movie play...).

If the movie desyncs, it's either:
a) bad ROM (you need "Super Metroid (JU) [!] headered" one, and don't forget to patch it);
b) wrong settings (make sure not to change anything prior to watching);
c) not doing one of the three steps written above right;
d) the alien invasion.

I think that's all.
So after I came to a point where a perfect mid-air morph is necessary to proceed (Norfair, right before the Speed Booster) I FINALLY gave up.  Your mid-air morph can suck it.  "OH, Mid-air morphs have ALWAYS been in Super Metroid!  It's even in the demo sequence," Drew says.  Yeah, but is it anywhere in that demo sequence ceiling mid-air morphs that need to be perfectly timed and placed?  NO.  So, after I realized how completely unsatisfying (to me) it would be to master the mid-air morph (don't get me started on IBJ), I just downloaded and watched the movie of Atma's 2:11 run.  Atma's one-wall jumping feat is amazing, but I would expect no less from someone who can beat this insane hack in a little over two hours.

I must say, I'd probably be playing this game for 2 more months had this mid-air morph crap not so heavily dissuaded me from going through the rest of the game.  You think I'm overreacting?  I didn't fall in love with the Metroid series to be completely pissed off because the game designers force you to accomplish a task that takes 10 million tries and re-tries.  I like Metroid because it's gameplay is phenomenal, its exploration aspects are second-to-none, and its atmosphere is some of the best gaming has to offer.  Super Metroid is a gem in its own right.  Stripping away a lot of what SM had going for it and replacing that with over-the-top, uber-challenging puzzles and fetch quests is not enough to get me to play through this hack.  And that's that.

The ending sequence was really fun to watch.  I was thoroughly impressed with how much thought was put into the Morph ball puzzles, it reminded me a lot of what Retro has done with the Prime series.  The "climb" which was a total M1 throwback instantly brought a SMILE to my face.  I also love how you really brought Tourian back to its full potential.  I always though SM's Tourian lacked a proper challenge and didn't have NEARLY enough Metroids.  (doesn't everyone think that?)  One more thing - turning the Botwoon fight into something you should do with the morph ball was genius!

The linearity of the game is definitely NOT Metroid.  However I think the hack is still pretty good, and probably is the best hack ever made.  For the most part, the level design was very intelligently made and by one person, that's saying a lot. 

In the end, you either love it or hate it.  It's unfortunate that you have to be a totally-hardcore-speed-running-insanely-awesome-super- metroid-super-genius to really love this game.  But I guess that's the audience Drew was making this game for to begin with.  All I can say is congratulations and best of luck to your future endeavors.  You probably won't see me posting here anymore.  Back to the MDb... later folks!
SABERinBLUE, I'll answer you in PM to stop the unneeded offtopic.

Quote from Infinity's End:
So after I came to a point where a perfect mid-air morph is necessary to proceed (Norfair, right before the Speed Booster) I FINALLY gave up. Your mid-air morph can suck it. "OH, Mid-air morphs have ALWAYS been in Super Metroid! It's even in the demo sequence," Drew says. Yeah, but is it anywhere in that demo sequence ceiling mid-air morphs that need to be perfectly timed and placed? NO.

You mean this one? Oh, sure that was hard. :)

I must say, I'd probably be playing this game for 2 more months had this mid-air morph crap not so heavily dissuaded me from going through the rest of the game. You think I'm overreacting?

Obviously!

The linearity of the game is definitely NOT Metroid.

And now, a Moment of Truth!

Behold: ATMA'S SECOND MOVIE, completing the game in 1:41 in-game time with an alternate route. Watch it, and you'll learn how nonlinear Redesign really is. ;D
So, as you see, Drew wasn't kidding when he said a proper TAS could be completed in less than 1:30 in-game time.

After all, this game sure wasn't designed for impulsive people. It requires thorough and coldheaded thinking and attention much more than physical skills.
I don't suppose someone could tell me where to get a HEADERED rom, as in exactly, because I've been doing fine with the unheadered version but i've been running in circles trying to find a headered one so I can watch smvs. I'll keep looking though.

BTW w00t found gravity suit =D wasn't even hard to find, maybe I got lucky but the path I took through
crateria
ended up taking me straight there no trouble. [/spoiler]
Ridley!
I'm at the elevator room to Norfair with the save point, and I got that third Energy Tank someone mentioned earlier in a spot where there's this man-eating flower with those green bugs coming out of it at Samus. Go to the left side of the room and step on the spikes ( they won't hurt you, so don't be afraid to not go and get it.) and morph go left and bomb. There's the Energy Tank. This time in Norfair I found the place with the red bugs and shot them with missiles to get energy and more missiles and super missiles then I continued further and I found something suspicious in the room after the one with all the shutters. I then bombed it to find myself going back to the room with the red bugs to get more energy and head back to the elevator because I thought I should save after making it so far, and I went up just in time to go back to the recharge room in Brinstar's Red Swampy Area. Now I'm going back to the place that I got to so far if I can make it.
Quote from moozooh:
SABERinBLUE, I'll answer you in PM to stop the unneeded offtopic.

Much preferable to just split the topic and continue in a separate thread so other people can read and contribute if they feel so inclined.
Quote from Blackdrake1:
I just did my first try on getting to the Ice Beam and never made it to the Energy Recharge Room. I'll try and try again until I do it.

Don't forget that you can replenish your health picking up the powerups killed enemies leave.
Cook of the Sea
Yeah, and since I figured the discussion was still relevant in some way to the hack, I wasn't concerned.  If we'd drifted off of the hack entirely I'd have split the topic.
Ridley!
Quote from moozooh:
Don't forget that you can replenish your health picking up the powerups killed enemies leave.
  I learned that before I read your post. I edited mine after you made the quote, but that's okay isn't it? Ok now I made it to the refill/save room in Norfair. I'm so glad I made it because I did a one wall jump in the room before that. Yes! I finally got the Ice beam and used the shortcut to the Refill/Save Room. I had only 02 energy left when I made it. Just got back to Brinstar with 79 energy left. Now I'm gonna see what else I can do now that I got the Ice Beam. I already beat Kraid when I had 2 Energy Tanks. Now I got the Varia Suit. Now I'm even happier. If you didn't know it's in Brinstar.
l'appel du vide
Quote from nitetrain8:
I don't suppose someone could tell me where to get a HEADERED rom, as in exactly, because I've been doing fine with the unheadered version but i've been running in circles trying to find a headered one so I can watch smvs. I'll keep looking though.

Add one yourself.
Ridley!
Go to romhacking.net or is it romhacking.com? Find it with the headered version. There both in the same Zip file.
Well the rom itself is working now, its just that it still doesn't match the goddam movie -.- desynces sometime in brinstar on the way to kraid/ice beam

edit: nvm I was using wrong version of the patch -.-

it works yay =D
Embarrasing Fact: Power suit made by lowest bidder
Quote from moozooh:
After all, this game sure wasn't designed for impulsive people. It requires thorough and coldheaded thinking and attention much more than physical skills.

yeah right.
Maybe the first time through, mental abilities help some, but Redesign DOES demand FAR more physical ability than the original Super Metroid does, and mental ability is far less useful.
Really, the only advantage I had in Redesign is that I didn't get stuck because I'm good at figuring out what needs to be done. I lost tons of energy and time because I couldn't react fast enough or time my moves well enough, though.

Haven't watched the movie yet, but I doubt it's going to break the linearity as much as you seem to be suggesting.
Quote from Kejardon:
Haven't watched the movie yet, but I doubt it's going to break the linearity as much as you seem to be suggesting.

There's quite some sequence breaking done.
Kraid is never beaten, Grappling Beam is skipped. And there are some quite nice underwater speed boosting sequences to get the Gravity Suit. Even beating Phantoon with the Speedbooster.
It's very entertaining overall.

But I wonder what would happen if you enter Kraid's room from the wrong end. It's quite possible in this hack, I believe.
Quote from Kejardon:
Maybe the first time through, mental abilities help some, but Redesign DOES demand FAR more physical ability than the original Super Metroid does, and mental ability is far less useful.

However, if you browse through this topic (and its mirror on Nesvideos) you'll notice that most of the replies are about figuring how to do this and how to get that. Of course, Redesign demands much more physical abilities than the original as well, but all of them come with practice. Come to think of it, the hardest parts of the game mostly are bomb mazes. %)

Also, thanks for the spoilers, Liam. ;)
Quote from moozooh:
Also, thanks for the spoilers, Liam. ;)

Well I didn't think it's much of a spoiler. But you still have to see it to believe it.  Shocked
Embarrasing Fact: Power suit made by lowest bidder
Quote from moozooh:
Of course, Redesign demands much more physical abilities than the original as well, but all of them come with practice.

Funny, I've tried to improve my reaction time for years, and I've yet to see any improvement.
Ridley!
What do I do after I get the Varia Suit? Is the Speed Booster or Graplling Beam or Power Bombs next?