^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Key word: Every.
Well, got some bad news.  I tried Megaproxy during my 7/8° class, and it worked beautifully, but then I went back later and found the school had blocked it.  Any chance of another alternative?
Mister ...
Here's a question that I have.

What is the best way to level up? By posting alot, by posting and adding pics, by taking part in polls?  I've only been here a little over a month, and I'm already an Omega Metroid, which is fine and all, and I'm just trying to figure out, why am I leveling up so fast? Or maybe it just seems fast to me.

Also, what's the difference between a Mod and an Admin.?  They both seem to have the same job, so I would just like to know.

EDIT: How does someone get banned from the site? Obviously not follow the rules, but whatelse?  How long does it take before you can get back on?
mods can only delete, lock/unlock, split, merge and move topics. iirc they can check the ip posts were made from as well.

in addition to the above, admins have access to the administration panel, which is where bans are placed and ranks are changed, among other things. bans are permanent. i guess read the rules if you haven't already.

imo, the above post is the best evidence yet for removing ranks from this forum.
Quote from nn12000:
What is the best way to level up? By posting alot, by posting and adding pics, by taking part in polls? 

Best way to level up:  don't even look at your "rank".  Don't try to level up in the first place; it means nothing, and you'll only get yourself into trouble if you go around overposting.  Try to make helpful posts, or pose good questions.  Don't post just to post, it's bad for the forum and could end up in loss of post count and/or ranks (if you read that topic in the m2k2 section).
Or you could care about your rank, but not act upon those cares.

I personally like ranks, but I think a great alternative is just letting people choose their rank thing, just like the admins and/or mods.
I was kind of upset when I became a Metroid Queen.  I liked Metroid Prime better.  :(
I do like Metroid Prime better, too. Metroid queen is for Metroid II, which I like less than Metroid Prime.

But I wonder if I overpost Rolling Eyes ...
Look at me. I've been here for ages, and I have far fewer posts than most of the newbies.
Then get out there and be more friendly!
l'appel du vide
Personally, I like the idea about removing the post count.  As for rank, either remove it, or let everybody choose what to put there.  Does rank have another purpose I'm unaware of?  Hell, while you're at it, remove the join date as well.  If people wanna check this stuff, stick it in the profile.  There's no need to see it every time you post.  ;)  (Don't judge me.)

That said, there doesn't seem to be any reason to do any of the above, considering the current state of the boards.  So, ha!

...wait.
I don't mind having them; I'm sometimes just interested in knowing how long someone has been around and how verbose they are. I think having everyone selecting their own title is rather silly, as what tends to happen is a bunch of grandiose/stupid things show up.  There's the location field if you want to be individualistic.

Plus, I may be the only person here who doesn't object to being Metroid Queen. :P  I never thought I'd post that much here.

So, I like the status quo. I think asking or caring about increasing them is stupid, though.  It's a description, not a goal.  You're not 'earning' anything.  I think the scale is in one of these threads, and they're close together at the beginning, so it's not a surprise to change rank rapidly at first.  Actually, for that reason maybe they should be more spread out, so they aren't so conspicuous early on.

Edit: The ranks are listed on the statistics page.  Which can make for some amusing reading, like how Ark's posts per day is over twice that of the next highest person,  nate.
Wow, I always thought I was the fastest (well not really), since these times I didn't have replies of expected posts when I hoped. But I'm not in the stats >>>_<<<
Mister ...
Actually, I think that the only reason my Rank is so High is that I sit at my computer for HOURS at this site, and any new post I see, I'll go straight for it.  Maybe I should back off for a week and see what happens.
On the other hand, I try my best to help out. Sometimes I do over do it a bit... but that's me.  I try too hard.

Personally, I think that Metroid Prime would be higher than Metroid Queen. Prime seems to have more Authority than queen, but that's me.

And when I do post, I try to prove good points, or make good questions. 

I also think that I put the wrong thing up there, What I meant was how long do you go on probation for? I knew that banned meant, forever, I was just thimking the wrong thing.
in the name of justice!
It says two weeks in the rules, but probation seems to really end when the person stops being stupid.

Or they get banned.
red chamber dream
Probation is always two weeks if we can help it. We never base it off behaviour. The only way it lasts longer than two weeks is if we forget (which happens more than I'd like, unfortunately).

I like the post count and ranks for the same reasons as Chanoire. Join date is something I would do my best to never let nate remove, since it's very, very useful to see how long ago a user joined for moderating purposes. Also it's just intersting. Ranks I don't care as much about, though I do like mine (since I get to pick it) to be perfectly honest. Post count has always been helpful to me as well. And yeah, yeah go ahead and pick on my large post count. ;(
Quote from nate:
...and ranks are changed...

Eh?  What is that?  Like as in, it takes manual activation for our user ranks to change or do you mean in terms of making someone a mod/admin?

And Ark:  What about people that never post while they're on Probation?  I was reading through the rules again the other day, and I don't seem to recall anything about not posting while on probation.  I mean, if someone is put on probation, and then they think that two weeks without posting would classify as "serving their time" then isn't that not right?  I mean, you guys do leave someone on probation that pulls that, right?  The rules do say two weeks of abiding by the rules, not just two weeks.

Maybe I didn't read the rules thoroughly enough, but I don't seem to ever recall them stating that not posting for your two week probation is not going to fly.  Just thought it might be worth adding to the rules, if it's not in there already and I missed it.  :?
red chamber dream
Quote from DeathNoble:
Eh?  What is that?  Like as in, it takes manual activation for our user ranks to change or do you mean in terms of making someone a mod/admin?

lol nah, the ranks automatically change when a user hits a certain number of posts: that's built into php. He meant when admins need to give the [BANNED] rank or used to give the [PROBATION] rank (before we developed the new Probation avatar).

And yes, we do take the person off probation after two weeks even if they haven't posted. Not posting is just as good as posting while abiding by the rules in my book.
in the name of justice!
Well, I was mostly thinking of Razorflame who was on probation for like three months...

Ark, I know you're the sort of person who'd like those things even if you didn't have the "best."  Though I suppose I do have a real question of whether I'm "proud" of my post count.  On one hand I don't care, on the other hand it seems like it doen't accurately represent all the time I've spent here, in some form or another.  Makes me wonder if I'm a lousy spammer.
l'appel du vide
Well, I'm not talking about completely removing post count or join date.  Just moving it to the profile (if that's at all possible).  The only reason I feel this way is because I want to have the option of only seeing a name and avatar.  Ha, why?  Less is more, man!  Or something like that.
red chamber dream
Not a matter of being proud at all, so don't worry.

And hehe, razorflame is the only exception. He's still on probation and will remain that way forever.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
It was Toozin's idea. Which means everybody runs with it. Because it's Toozin.
Hey by the way, is it recent that nate is now called angel guardian?
...Too bad. I liked baby linguist.
I cannot have a good opinion on the subject, when I wonder about an user's profile, I look his/her's profile. I hope you don't consider it like... spying you know, I don't know, now that I look at this I think I'm involving into someone's private life.
>_>
red chamber dream
Quote from Qlex:
Hey by the way, is it recent that nate is now called angel guardian?

I never even noticed it, but it was baby linguist sometime within the last one or two days, so it had to be a recent modification.
I liked "baby linguist", too.

Quote:
I cannot have a good opinion on the subject, when I wonder about an user's profile, I look his/her's profile. I hope you don't consider it like... spying you know, I don't know, now that I look at this I think I'm involving into someone's private life.
>_>

Dude, that's what profiles are there for. Not to be involved in their private life, that is, but rather to know more about the user.
Post count, to me, is there as a source of entertainment, whether it be to see yourself/other's longevity, or to watch as people think it actually means something and end up getting themselves banned for posthunting.

The OGame (beware! time-consuming game!) forums have a system in place where you have a rank based on post count too (they even have stars, which help offset the mods/game operators as important people), but you can get it changed whenever you want by going through a board admin.  I think it works rather well.