1234 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
hello,anyone know of any good hacks for super metroid?
Thread title: 
To answer your question, Yes there are quite a few Super Metroid hacks.  Of all of them, only 2 really stand closest to the original (Legacy, Limit)  The others are more or less the same game but with a more challenging route.

I don't like to brag but I'm currently making the most complex Super Metroid Hack TO DATE named  Super Metroid: Redesign (follow the link in my signature)  this hack has a project release date of June '06.

the gameplay has been tweaked to flow more like Fusion/ZeroMission Meets Metroid Prime (faster jumping, 3 bomb limit and delayed refresh) , different order of obtaining items, harder enemies, Bug fixes from the original (grav jump, space time/murderbeam,unmorphing in morph tunnles)  And my personal favorite touch, the all important element of Exploration.
        Oh and unlike the many IMPOSSIBLE and aggrivating hacks out there, my goal  is to make this work of art flow at a fast pace, and have it not too difficult to figure out where to go next (I want this hack to be a speedrunners playground, and even though I have 1.5 more areas to make it is already going to take well over 1.5 hours to beat at anyones fastest)

well, there we have it, I've said too much, now I have to kill you
links!  now!
awfuly rude of you to demand...... ask nicer next time, I agve you my link, i don't know where to get the others
well i come from gamfaqs >_>;

oh well,guess i have some googling to do
Embarrasing Fact: Power suit made by lowest bidder
I'm not sure how helpful Google will be, seeing as both hacks are Japanese. :P
http://sukamax.hp.infoseek.co.jp/hackrom.html , the top middle and top left are Legacy and Limit, respectively.
What's the word on the others?  Any good?
Finally, I had some trouble accessing the forums all morning, anyways I can say theres a special hack topic on the samus.co.uk forums, under super metroid, but those hacks are for the most part sloppy and not really changed enough to enjoy playing.  only the japanese hacks are really worth hours of playtime.

EDIT**  I want to clarify that I did not mean to put these hacks down in any way, they are each fun and challenging in their own respecs.  I'm sorry if I sounded cruel and insulting since I know many of us are puttng lots of our free time into these projects
The following Hacks have a topic at SCU:

Super Metroid Zebes Returns HERE
Super Metroid Zebes Returns 2 HERE
Super Hard Metroid HERE
Super Metroid Phantom HERE Beta 2 Released
Super Metroid NSBIS HERE Rom did not like changes made to game
Super Metrace HERE
Sigfriedxx's Super Metroid Redesign HERE Video NEARING COMPLETION :)
Super Easy Metroid HERE
Super Metroid: Speed Runners Training Course HERE
Super Metroid Grapple HERE
Return to SR388 HERE There Will Be No Beta Testing
The Darkness Spreads HERE
Metroid Ressurection HERE
Metroid Marathon HERE

The following can be found elsewhere:

Super Metroid Justin Bailey HERE
Metroid Eradication HERE
Super Metroid Alternate Mission HERE
Metroid Legacy
Metroid Reverse
Metroid Limit

Metroid SFI
The Another of Super Metroid ALL HERE
Extremely Hard Super Metroid Hack (Tentative Title) HERE(DELAYED)
T-Metroid HERE

Key:
Completed Hack
Beta Testing Avaliable
Demo Released
Error or possibly will be abandoned
Being worked on and no Beta has been released
Abandoned

heh. As simple as copy and paste :P
I was just about to mention the Justin Bailey one.  Man, that's a lof hacks.  So I take talking about where to get hacks isn't the rules, since this hasn't been locked/deleted yet?  Since hacks are hacks, and aren't the actual game, right?
This is assuming you're working with ips patches... but as far as I know, hacks are considered original intellectual property. They don't contain any original data from the rom - they only contain the *changes* made.
I think it's against the rules to put up an actual patched rom, though.
The most on-topic 'rule' I can find is a quote from nate: 'i don't see anything wrong with asking about emulators, but asking about roms will result in, at the very least, your post being deleted.'
Though just to nit-pick, public domain roms are fine, right? :P

Man, talk about coincidences. On the top:
Metroid 2002
the rules do not apply
yeah, i knew from that start that might not be such a good subtitle for a forum. ;P

and of course public domain roms are okay. it's not like we're racist against game images here or something.
red chamber dream
Because game images are a race and everything.

Anyway, I've never played an SM hack, so I don't know anything about them or where to find them.
Just because I'm not THAT internet savy...  How do you get an IPS patch to work on emulator?  Do I just put it in the zip folder, or what?  I'm really kinda retarded/n00bie when it comes to working with emulators.  I don't even know how to use slowdown to be honest.
Quote from Arkarian:
Because game images are a race and everything.

Anyway, I've never played an SM hack, so I don't know anything about them or where to find them.

It's easy to find a super metroid hack. Just go to the colored list I posted and go to any of the words "Here". They are links. :P
Quote from DeathNoble:
Just because I'm not THAT internet savy...  How do you get an IPS patch to work on emulator?

Actually, i've been wondering this myself...
If you have ZSNES, you don't even have to think much about it. Just make sure the rom and ips share the filename (metroid.smc and metroid.ips). ZSNES will patch the file in ram when the game loads (the actual file metroid.smc will not be touched)
I don't know if SNES9X does that as well. It might.
If you don't have an emulator that auto-patches, you'll have to patch the rom with an ips patcher. There are plenty of them out there, it's just a matter of finding one on the web. I use SNES Tool, but it's a dos program - not the easiest to use for most people. But it can do other things that I occasionally need as well.
I have a ZSNES, but I patch it myself. I use IPSWin.
ok im stuck in legacy....i have the power bombs,missles,super missles,speed boster,wave and charge beam.also got most of nofair and brinstar covered,also did the wrecked ship...is there a walkthrough?
There is no walkthrough
damn....no videos also?
well, for a heads up I plan on making a walkthrough for my hack, which will be released a few months after the actual hack release.

I plan on having a complete world map with locations of all item pickups and Guar.....  >_>

I've said too much again, Later!
Armor Guardian
Thanks for not planning to release a walkthru at the same time as your hack, DrewSeph. Although I liked Super Metroid (as evidenced by my profile) I think my experience was slightly ruined because I watched too many speedruns before actually playing the game. That almost completely ruined the exploration aspect of the game for me. I think I'll enjoy your hack more if I knew absolutely nothing about the geography prior to playing it.
Quote from Kejardon:
If you have ZSNES, you don't even have to think much about it. Just make sure the rom and ips share the filename (metroid.smc and metroid.ips). ZSNES will patch the file in ram when the game loads (the actual file metroid.smc will not be touched)

Okay, I've got ZSNES now.  Last question about playing them, does the IPS and the rom have to be in the same folder, or does the ZNES just go ahead and auto-patch from wherever the IPS is on your comp?
Sigfriedxx: A little mistake on your site: the Norfair page 2 pictures are the exact same as Crateria page 1.